Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the truth about undercarriage parts?

Bigtoyman ยท 2010-10-22 21:40

I am needing a set of rails for a D4H (series 2) so I have called about 6 different Companies listed in the Machinery Trader for prices. I have been told conflicting stories about where different brands are made and who supposedly makes the best undercarriage. The main brands for this size machine are ITR, DCF and KUP. I also got a quote from CAT and they are double the price of DCF, and I was told that DCF actually makes the rails for CAT. I am wanting a heavy duty, extreme wear rail as I am in rock country. I put a complete aftermarket undercarriage on my Komatsu excavator a few years ago and they are nearly worn out already.

Replies2
  1. #1Bigironjim2011-02-02 23:45

    D4h Bigtoyman: what did you end up doing for undercarriage on your D4 ?

  2. #2QuickTrax2011-02-03 08:02

    Be careful with the chains with the D4H. This machine can call for either a standard chain or a Heavy Duty chain. They are specific to the S/N. If you put Heavy Duty chains on a machine that calls for the standard chains the pin bosses on your links will hit the rock guards on the bottom of the roller frames. I have seen companies also sell the standard chain for a machine that calls for the heavy duty just because its cheaper and wanted to make a sell. The standard chain has a new link height of 98mm and the press fit on the bushing is 55.9mm. The heavy duty chain has beefier links and has a link height of 106mm with a bushing press fit of 60.7mm. They both take a 5/8 track bolt. On both of these chains the pads will interchange with each other. I hope this might give you a little info on what you purchase. Thanks, Quick Trax