Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this?

tonka ยท 2008-08-11 17:29

What is it? What was it used for? Who built it?

Replies7
  1. #1METCO2008-08-11 18:35

    an old airforce missle carrier, where did you get that picture that is sitting at a buddy of mines , famillys business, his uncle bought it several years ago

  2. #2tonka2008-08-11 19:05

    www.largecarmag.com http://www.largecarmag.com/board/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2261&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=2700

  3. #3Dwan Hall2008-08-11 20:20

    I use to work around those in Montana when in the Air Force. METCO is correct. They were used to transport Minute Man missiles to there silos.

  4. #4tonka2008-08-11 20:31

    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...e&start=108&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

  5. #5Electra_Glide2008-08-25 16:11

    These things are sure finding their way around the internet. This is about the 3rd time in the last few weeks that I have seen somebody ask about them. For what it's worth, I came across a picture of a more modern version: http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/icbm/Image026.jpg Joe

  6. #6milling_drum2008-08-25 19:05

    I'm wondering what the powertrain is and how much weight it can handle.

  7. #7tonka2008-08-25 20:11

    WITH MISSILE ON BOARD THE TRANSPORTER ERECTOR WEIGHTED MORE THAN 100,000 LBS AND MEASURED 65 FEET LONG. THE TRACTOR WAS POWERED BY A V-12 ENGINE THAT TRANSMITTED POWER TO THE DRIVE AXLES THROUGH A FIVE SPEED MAIN TRANSMISSION AND A THREE SPEED AUXILIARY TRANSMISSION