Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this thing?

Alaska Sunrise ยท 2010-02-07 00:46

I snapped a photo of this excavator today. It has a combination of cable and hydraulics and looks like it has lots of reach. Who made this?

Replies5
  1. #1alco2010-02-07 01:06

    I think it's a Priestman, but I could be wrong.

  2. #2expatracer2010-02-07 02:24

    that looks like the old cable hoe at the operators training school on 8 ave in aldergrove

  3. #3LDK2010-02-07 04:14

    Counter weight The Priestman had a sliding counter weight, you can see it at the base of the boom and that is what the cables are for. I think that they were the, or one the first long reach hydraulic machines made, in the UK at least.

  4. #4bigkit2010-02-07 14:11

    It is a Priestman. The two most common long reach types are the VC15 and the VC20, 15 and 20 metre reach. The VC stands for variable counterweight which was pushed back by a ram at the rear of the machine which inturn pulled a cable which pulled the stick out. A hydraulic motor on the underside of the boom pulled the stick in and the counterweight simultaneously came up the boom letting the stick fall. Any help.

  5. #5EGS2010-02-07 16:04

    It is a Priestman. Roddyo has one, I think that his a VC20. They are kind of a combo between a long reach hoe and a drag line.