Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what publications for Cat u/c wear specs?

LCA078 · 2019-11-09 15:25

I've been looking for an older Cat dozer (D6C/D) or a '90's-ish excavator but would like to know the right reference to understand u/c wear. I can easily measure the rail height, roller diameter, etc. of any machine but don't know the definitive source to translate those measurements into life left in the machine's undercarriage. Are these specs contained in the owners manual for each machine? Or is there a single Cat manual that lists all the machines with part numbers and wear specs?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2019-11-09 15:37

    You need to try to get hold of a copy of the Caterpillar Custom Track Service (CTS) Handbook. Publication Reference is PEKP9400. It doesn't have to be the latest version (17) to contain information on machines of the age you are talking about.

  2. #2LCA0782019-11-09 20:05

    Thanks for quick reply, Nige. I was able to find one online- very cool book! So follow up question:Some of the machines have multiple u/c codes that have slightly different wesr specs. How do I tell which u/c code should I use? Can I decipher from roller or rail pn’s? The wear spec difference is so minimal I wouldnt care but I’m just curious now.

  3. #3Nige2019-11-10 04:00

    Usually the identification is made using the Part Numbers actually stamped/cast on to the components installed on the particular machine. That should take you to the correct wear table.

  4. #4LCA0782019-11-10 08:17

    Ok-I’ll play with the pn’s when I see my next machine. On a side note, I spent some time reading the CTS last night- lots of good info on undercarriage wear problems, cost estimation, etc. It’s a very informative read for someone like me new to these machines. Thanks again for the recommendation.

  5. #5John C.2019-11-10 11:47

    Anything made in the mid 2000s time frame no longer is covered in track manuals. Cat went to a computer based system to start with and now uses a cloud based system to deliver percentage worn specs. Any information determined by that system now is proprietary and Cat does not have to share any of it. The dealers are all required to use it. It was another nail on the list of reasons for me to terminate their status as my employer. I'm not at home right now but will look up the newest machines in my last UC manual.