What's the consensus here? Low-ball value on a 200K mile extended cab 4WD. Box is trashed, body is fair. Not much rust (unbelievable) but paint is shedding like they do. Not looking to pull skidsteers or minis, and not entering any beauty contests. Have a 8' service body that can be set on. I'm not and never have been a V10 fan, but for a jobsite beater I might be interested? Thoughts?
Well, you can certainly score a lot of booty with a Superduty. Especially, with Ten in the hole and ready to pull. That’s probably a $10k rig in my area. In NorDak? IDK, man. $6k maybe?
I was thinking $3k. I have no experience with a V10, but they're sure uncommon around here.
That would be nice, but I've been haggling with the guy for over a year. He's been trying to sell it for over 2 years, started at $10k, this spring he said $7500. I told him I wasn't interested this spring, never threw a number until this fall. In October, he called me again about it, and I told him I think $5000 is too much, and we just weren't going to make a deal. Today, he called and said that $5000 will buy it, wants it gone, I haven't said I'd take it yet.
At that age and miles, you can be buying a 7.3 diesel instead. Maybe in your cold, you would rather have the gasser, my 7.3's don't like to start if they aren't plugged in. I would rather have the 7.3.
We have a half dozen V10s. Exhaust manifolds, and the odd head gasket. I think one out of the 6 actually needed the head gasket. You pretty much have to pull the cab off the frame to do anything major.
First Superduty I bought was a 1999 F250 SWB CC with V10. Special ordered it. In 1999 that truck was 10 years ahead of the competition. The V10 was strong and would pass everything except a gas station. Traded it on a 2000 I ordered with a 7.3 and never looked at a gasser again for a personal truck. Still have an XL 2001 F250 with 7.3 bought new out of GA.
I actually would much rather have a 7.3, but this pickup will be used as a parts runner/field pickup for the shop guy. We need a gasser so it can sit outside, and start whenever we need it. He had a diesel, ran the **** out of it and wrecked it. Also, since it was a diesel, would milk the clock letting it warm up for half hour instead of easing off to get out to a problem.
I think I can only own about "x" number of trucks. "X" is usually whatever I currently own, plus 1. Either way, a '99 3/4 ton, with a v10 isn't in my "x" total. So for me, it isn't the matter of the $5k, I don't think I would be a buyer at any number. In 3/4 ton gas we have a 2009 GM one with the 6.0. With 240,000 it's been great. We have a 2005 Ford 5.4 that's been nothing but engine issues. In the older 3/4 gas I would be buying GM 6.0. I think Ford builds a better truck, but the 6.0 is a lot better engine.
I have one. 2013 GMC work truck. Has over 240k on it. Not a bad truck, but good ones are rare around here. Also, there's the matter of the service bed that currently sits on the bad pickup that will move right over.
Same here. The tags and insurance would be $2500 a year for a wore out gas burner.
Why isn't the service bed going on the 2013?
I have no idea how to respond to that. Tags on a 1999? $125 Insurance? Probably $600
Shortbed.
I had a guy tell me that a V10 6.8 was a bigger engine than my V8 7.3 because it has more cylinders
Wow! Interesting the difference from one area to another.
Yeah, it's harder all the time to find 8' bed stuff. Used to be reg cab 8' bed was the standard. Now everything is crew cab short bed. Makes it harder to find trucks to put flatbeds or service bodies on.
We have both 350 v-10 and 350 5.4 triton . Both are thirsty beasts .5.4 is far more reliable than the v-10 but both are good trucks . Both have utility bodies and over 260,000 miles . I don't think they would bring good coin if sold considering they are work trucks and have been beat down . I do think there is still a spark plug in earths orbit from the 5.4 .
Only place for a ferd V10 engine is on a stand to talk about and look at. I'm sure its built just like the other modular ferd engines. Just wow.
$4995!
I'm thinking $3k out the door is typical in my neck of the woods...and that's in pickup country. The gasser is what drops the price down. Here's a quick snapshot of auction results of all which just happen to be all 5.4L gassers. The 7.3's in this era don't go to auction too much....
Me too, a white XL crew cab 4dr 4x4 with the old school ranch hand full bumper replacements. Has 350k on the odo and still used today as my ranch/maintenance truck as I don't mind it getting (more) scratched or dented. But the point is I was offered $20k on the spot for it by a general contractor when I was getting diesel a couple months ago. Guy said he can easily keep that truck running another 200k by doing his own maintenance and it's powerful enough to pull any trailer he needs but slow enough where his guys won't get too dangerous on the highway. The gassers just don't last that long and don't have the towing capability so they're not pulling high $$ here even though there is a strong demand for work trucks. But for Shimmy's case, I'd say it's worth it if he hasn't seen another similar truck in the $5k range in the past year which describes the market in his area. I'd swap the beds (keep the old one) and work the truck until it gives up the ghost. Put the old bed back on and send to auction (like the ones I posted earlier). If you've already test drove the truck and know it's solid, walk in with $4k cash 'total out the door' price and a take-home driver to make the quick deal.
I wouldn't take $20K for mine either.
2001 F250 2025 tag cost - $209 (just paid it) Total insurance for 4 pickups, 1 SUV, 1 dump truck and various trailers $25,000 +/- per year. I based that comment on what I would be paying. Sent a 4700 cornbinder and 2014 gas burning 250 to auction and saved $5K a year on tags and insurance. AL has been in need of tort reform for pretty much my entire life however most politicians are lawyers. I would wager 50% of the billboards are advertising ambulance chasing lawyers. Costs us a fortune.
My last service truck at the electric utility was a 2011 Ford E450 cube van with a V10 in it. In eight years I put just under 70,000 miles on it. Never a problem it was always loaded to maximum weight. lots of steep grades here. It got eight miles per gallon in the mountains on flat ground and running around town. The Ford F550 service trucks with the 6.4 and 6.7 diesels did not do a lot better.
Great. Don't have enough machinist work, now you're going to be a auctioneer too?
Well, it's still for sale. Took the guys and looked it over this morning. Went for a drive, and couldn't get back fast enough. Trans is definitely on the way out, front end is shot, needs tires. I definitely think it's a $3000 pickup.
If you can live with 2wd, uhaul evidently has been getting rid of their service trucks. There's one close by me, and I've seen a couple others for sale also. They're around 2016's 550's, and have big service bodies on them, with v10's. The close one to me, is for sale for $12,500. There's one in texas under $10,000. Most are 150-200,000 miles. I really prefer flatbeds, but I've kicked around getting one of them, and letting go of one of my old 450'550's 7.3's, just to have something a little newer.
That front end is $1000 just in parts. I did my 08 F350 a couple years back. New brakes, ball joints, u joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends. Truck steers nice now, but wasn't cheap to rebuild.
That sucks but at least you tried and made the right choice.
Unless you just wanted a service body I'd stick with your older 7.3's.
Transmission ? Ours are beat up but tranny problem aint one . We have had nothing but ford and never had a tranny problem accept for the explorer (company car ) They break . that lld tranny can't tow but we never had a hitch on it . In all it went over 300,000 before disposing of it . Side note they did do a v-10 mustang . not production but they did it .
Yeah, wow. For a rig that old, it’s $25 for Z tags and permanent registration.
But that's how I ended up with my 5.4. It was low miles, good body, cheap, and I had heard all the "5.4's are bad". And I thought, "it can't really be that bad". I was wrong.
$209 just for the 2025 tag. See my post above.
Sounds like something that would sell at ritchie brothers for anywhere from 2k to 5k
well, it is technically bigger. In physical size at least.
And the V10 6.8 is substantially 'bigger' than the 7.3 Powerstroke when you compare HP ratings... But the 7.3 will outpull and outlast the 6.8 with a much lower fuel consumption so bigger isn't always better. If you really want to get down into the weeds between the 6.8 and old 7.3, read this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/...7-3-powerstroke-let-the-slinging-begin-3.html
I had pretty good luck with the 6.8 v10 in the fleet setting. They didn’t have starting problems in cold temps and could idle all day without exhaust system problems. Less chance of mis-fueling and anyone can work on them. Cheaper to purchase. Re-sale wasn’t an issue because everything is driven to destruction. Personally, I wouldn’t own one.
It's a good truck 2000-3000, it might be worth 5-6 if it was in really good shape, but it's not. Go on Facebook marketplace and look for similar trucks to get a feel
When compared to something like a Tier 4 diesel, for the price of replacing one or two of the expensive gadgets bolted to the engine, you can throw the whole gas job in the dumpster and drop a brand new one in . . .