last cleaned the mag screen in the transmission circuit about 350hours ago. Doing major work on our old d5 (54j) and would like to get some idea from the more experienced as to what is "normal" on the screens. I have no "chunks" but a bit of what looks like hard facing?? I know it's hard without photo's but would appreciate others experience. Obviously, transmission problems is my worst fear with the old girl.
Yair . . . 54j I know the feeling. Obviously you are not going to tear into it due to a few flakes of hard facing. If it were mine I'd check for silvafrost and worse in the pleats of the transmission filter (if it has one) and put it onto twenty hour inspections of the magscreen. If you were to get more metal next time and (say) a fragment of needle roller there is no point in continuing to run it and it's time to grab the wrenches. That's just me though, others on here are far better qualified to give an opinion. High resolution photos with (say) a match for size reference should draw some knowledgeable responses. Cheers.
Nothing beats a photo unfortunately ...............
ok......trying to load a couple of pics.....god help us all
ah ok...not so bad...thought I'd include "plugga" all stripped down.....ready for new axles,finaldrives etc etc. will try mag screen photo's
and another.......
Blow it wash it and blow it again and run it that don't look bad at all imop
A little more than I might like but not enough to scare me. I should try to find a picture of the mag strainer out of our 769C that had a starter drive failure And that was maybe two years ago and no problems since then. Each service gets better.
ditto. Put it on the list of things to keep an eye on and monitor it going forward.
I forgot the transmission with the magnetic strainer like your is separate oil supply from that of the converter. I do have a picture of the strainer screen out of the converter housing: This was back in April 2010. Still going strong. Not familiar with the D5 but if the oil that the magnetic strainer filters is in the flywheel housing it could be just some flecks of the ring gear.
Another question. How many hours had that screen been in there without cleaning..?
...
about 350hrs Nige...btw...I met "capt mannering" when I was younger....he reviewed our parade....I never really worked out if our officers were taking the **** or just had a really good sense of humour.
The first line of the original post:
Remind me to get new eyeglasses....
Better get two pair,,, they don't get any better with age!
After that poor sap posting his ill-advised-tree-tipping pics, we're not cutting nobody no slack.
Have to get 2 pairs, let's face it you can never remember where you put the last pair down.........
Yair . . . That too . . . 'an I go looking for them and I'm wearing them. (he grins) Cheers.
And always in the last place you look ...............