I think I may have lucked up and bought about the best one for my situation. John Deere's 310E backhoe is the last model JD made without a computer. It has open center hydraulics. Not a high pressure common rail and not turbo. It simply does not have all that other stuff to go wrong that newer ones have. Overall, I'm real happy with it. I do wonder what others think might be the best farm backhoe? You guys that work on these things for a living, what do you think about it? Or if you have a backhoe you really like, what is it?
Simple is good especially in an environment that sees periodic use as opposed daily use performance wise the e series was ok I think deere really perfected there machine in the g series I have a couple of L series and platform wise there are not huge changes between g and L like there was between e and g there is just more electronics If I were buying cat I wouldn't get anything newer than a d series probably maybe an e series I hate the Fs and cat has a lot of emissions problems with them But as a guy who makes a daily living pushing a hoe I wouldn't trade my 310 sl hl the thing is just a beast
I would definitely stay with simple. I have a 580 superK that I have used about 25-30 hrs a month for 20 years, and I don't think you could buy a better one, but my next one will probably be a Deere. I hate the Case dealer who is 75 miles away, and I hate Case-New Holland. The Deere dealer is 3 miles away, and gets me some parts for my Case and Cat machines. The Deere support has been great.
The best one is the one you can afford, work on and has dealer support for parts. I like simple too. For my DIY needs a pre electronic machine is ideal. Simple and I don't need specialized diagnostic equipment to do anything. The only issue is being older there is rust to deal with.
I agree that for a limited use machine, pre-emissions and pre-electronics is a better option. I have an old Deere 310A. It's 10 years older than me, no electronics, and just plain simple. Only thing I really wish it had is 4WD. Otherwise, for what I do, its been a very dependable machine for the limited use it gets. Someday, I'll upgrade, but it probably won't be newer than a D series.
To me, and trust me I am no backhoe expert as I have only owned one on a compact tractor, and the full size machine I just recently purchased, the best backhoe is one that 1. you can pay cash for (most important to me...don't need a payment every month for a tractor that works every couple months) 2. is not electronic 3.a brand that you have good local support...unless you are rich and can afford new every coupla years, then go for the latest and greatest, and don't hold back on the bells and whistles, but then you wouldn't be middle class, would you
I think tha CR is not that bad thing to have, cause it saves fuel, injectors are not that difficult to repair, just get new repair kit. Turbine I have no issue with it, changin the cartrige is not quite difficult either, only computer if we could get rid of them life d be much more easier. Most good thing with CR is that it can start engine with a low preasure in cilider piston group. Most issue with deisel eng is сompression in it. When it is low you can not start it. Old deisel engine compression musta be 30-28 no lower than 24bar, while CR fuel system works well with 19-20 bar. my CR CNH B115 backhoe consume 5-7 litre ph, when dig.While a previous Cat 434E with old fuel system consumed 12litres ph. gallon of deisel fuel ph you may save. In a year I make 1500 hours, make the balance, it is worth to spare a bit cash for your backhoe fuel system care.
Honcho, did you get your machine sorted out in the other thread? Where is Russia are you and what's your weather like right now? 85F and sunny here in Alabama, USA.
I think the HPCR fuel system is a compromise. Shorter life for better fuel economy/horsepower. I'd heard of a '95 Dodge 3500 truck with cummins 12 valve that was totaled. It was driven in one of those traveling circuses. The truck had 900K miles on odometer and whole engine/compartment was covered in black. Owner said engine was untouched except for regular maintenance. I just don't see that happening with a HPCR engine.
M Well I live in the south region of Russia, The Black sea side. It is very hot n humidy at this time temperature is 40C. What of engines I d say that it is us operators who destroy machines, with our inproper maintenance, intervenig into engine, sometimes we forget to do smth, other time we dont know how to do or what happened, while engine not like whinnig wife wont say twice. It says once, it reminds again, one dont respond, it breakes.. And one more bout weather, south Russia it is like north of the USA. Illinois perhaps.
I've had a few old hoes, I'm not loyal to one manufacturer or model. I love the older John Deere for smooth operation, but hydraulic issues are terribly complex to diagnose. John Deere seldom offers a component for a valve. You can order a whole valve, and retrofit adapters for several thousand dollars. I've had two Case 580K. They are very jumpy backhoes, with a simpler hydraulic system, NOBODY ever described them as smooth operating. Look for four wheel drive, extend a hoe, joystick controls, I believe there is no such thing as too big, just bought a John Deere 410C 17400 LBS, almost big enough. For loader duty I want a torque converter and manual transmission. I had an older JD410 with clutch, no torque converter. It was near impossible to scoop a bucket full without spinning the tires. Overall condition is more important than make or model. If a hydraulic thumb is important to you consider how the extend a hoe is built. Case has the bottom member outside, these are easier to add a thumb.
I have a '94 case 580sk and Its a pretty good machine. It's way more capable than the 580b my father in law has. I should mention this is my first full size tlb, and had a way smaller Kubota unit before it.
Where did you find these specs Willie?
http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/0/6/68-john-deere-410c.html
So I guess it weighs 14K. There are some 20K lb backhoes out there. Slooow and heavy come to mind.
I would guess closer to 16 myself for a 410 unless it doesnt have an e stick Later models get a lot heavier
Actual scale weight.
Last week I sold my "best" farm backhoe to a farmer, neighbor whom also has a farm shop that he does mechanic work in. It is a 1964 Fordson Super Major Diesel with a Ford Loader and Hoe on it. Same Loader and Hoe as the early Ford 500 which eventually turmed into the 555. It has the easily detachable hoe so it doubles as a cheap on fuel, farm tractor also. He has borrowed it in the past so he knew eaxactly what he was getting. The hoe was to big for the tractor to hurt it. One more machine gone in my quest to downsize my toy collection to a more manageable size. Still got the 931 with hoe so I can still bury the trespassers as needed.
Yes, I had a 410 once. It weighed about 14,000 LBS. 410C published specs are all over the place. Mine has extend a hoe, bigger tires, and heavier counter weight in front. With fuel & me in the seat it weighed 17400.
Willie you didn t count the mud.
Not much mention of the ol 555 Fords. We have an old 555 and its a workhorse and very powerful. Starts easy in the cold to. We have lately added a Ford/NH 575e to the fleet and its been good so far also.
A fellow 555 owner here. Got it for cheap, knowing it had tranny problems. Fixed the tranny, and although it probably has a zillion hours on it, it starts easily and works great (I'm pretty gentle with it). Perfect machine for me.
You sir, have not seen VT. Mud is sort of rare. Here, we have ROCK. One might see a bit of dust. I shouldn't say that. Northern Champlain Valley they have clay. I've heard of dry times when a mechanic drops a wrench, it falls in a crack in the clay soil, it takes an hour to dig it out. Right here, we have no mud.
I laughed at this as I recall my brother coming over and seeing my rock pile, and commenting I bought a load of boulders for landscaping... Nope just a place I put rocks I haven't used yet.
I've had 4 differant hoes. like the case 580's simple to work on. Lot of parts out there and not real expensive.