I would like opinions on the best way to avoid throwing a track while working on a steep hill or side of a creek or ditch. Specifically, is it best to back down with the sprockets first or drive down with the idler/tensioner in the front and sprockets in the back.
sprocket downhill, always. If you go the other way, you can jump teeth and generally have a bad day.
Good day See attached may be worth a thought. Kind regards Uffex
The UH series Hitachi's operator manual stated " always travel with the idler at the front, dig over the sprockets ". For several reasons it was good advice. It keeps the chain tight under the machine so even when the tracks wear they won't bow as much and pop off the idler. It takes a lot of the jerkiness out the digger in hard digging as all the idler components including the tension springs aren't working overtime. It doesn't wear out the track chains as fast. A Cat service manager explained to me 2/3rds of track wear happens when reversing.
yes that's why I would not plan on reversing up a hill. It never worked on dozers either.
Mini-ex or full size machine?
With my mini I like to keep blade side downhill so I can use it to level the machine and work. When going back up the incline I use the bucket to assist by pulling me up instead of just using the tracks.
That' what I thought. If the idler is downhill it would take tension off the track. Thanks for all the opinions. I'm old and think I know everything but I'm still willing to learn more from those with knowledge and experience.
Sorry, neglected to say what I have - - - -Cat 312B -
Very Good points. . . . Thank you.
yes the mini with blade thing does swap it around. I was thinking bigger steel tracks and that was what the OP did have, by pure coincidence. I do love the self leveling features of a blade machine
Some days I wish mine had a blade on both ends!