Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the word on Thomas Skid Steers?

Jeepwalker ยท 2012-02-12 00:35

Never heard of them until looking on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-THOMAS...672?pt=Skid_Steel_Loaders&hash=item3a702c4540 Just curious what the feedback is on them (quality, construction, reliability, etc).

Replies10
  1. #1KSSS2012-02-12 00:43

    Made in Canada from typical off the shelf components like everyone else's machines. I believe they have gone under now. They struggled to make in-roads in the NA market. Generally they are known to be be durable, simple machines.

  2. #2MERG2012-02-13 01:18

    I have a 153 that I think is a 2002 model. It has been a great machine. Most of the parts are generic so easy to find and the engine is Kubota. Very basic but a good, tough machine.

  3. #3ironjunkie2012-02-13 21:00

    The only place that I've ever seen them is at auctions, usually new or close to it. Same with their shaker screens, only at auctions. ?? I had always wondered if they (Thomas) were dumping them into the auction circuit for the exposure while they were waiting for a big release of their line.

  4. #4Jeepwalker2012-02-13 21:10

    Their website is still up (dated 2011). It looks like they re-branded Thomas skid loaders as Kubota for Europe. There is a dealer not too far from there. I'll call them up and see if they stil sell them. I guess I'm just curious, not really looking to buy one now. But I see they are pretty inexpensive when used on Ebay.

  5. #5Harry2012-02-13 23:00

    They where built in Hartland New brunswick. Localy here a lot of farmers run them and like them. They are cheep to repair and are prety though from what i here. But i have personal experience with them.

  6. #6iceberg2102012-07-10 17:35

    Looking at Thomas' website looks like they are no longer skid steers and just 'mini skid steers'? Anyone hear something similar? Shame I had heard excellent things about the skid steers at least (and I think the Excavators were re badged Kubotas perhaps?) Thanks Erik

  7. #7928G Boy2012-07-10 22:26

    in the early 90s they seemed to be one of bobcat's biggest competitors (at least around here) but they fell way, way behind over the years. still see a lot of them around though.

  8. #8245dlc2012-07-13 19:15

    They even had a tracked one a few years ago but I heard our gumbo stuck in the big wheels that they used to turn the track. Are they completely out of the skid-steer business now? They had some mini-excavators for a little while too. That's unfortunate to see another Canadian company go the way of the doe-doe a friend of mine use to have one of their machines and he said he liked it far better than Bobcat.

  9. #9RobVG2012-07-14 15:46

    I've taken care of one for 8 years now. Protough 2200. Somewhere around 2300 hrs on it. Only major issues were a leaking drive motor and rear axles seals. Boom cylinders repacked 3 years ago. New starter last year. Broken spring in control valve 6 years ago. The only thing that keeps it from running right is if one of the safety lockout switches fails.

  10. #10awful knawful2012-07-15 18:50

    They were manufactured in New Brunswick Canada. But they stopped making them in the last 5 years or so. They were a good reliable machine. We had one here at work but we were having a hard time getting parts for it for the last little while. The new one we got was a CAT.