Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to do with used rubber tracks?

texascadillac42 ยท 2011-05-25 09:38

What are you guys doing with the old/used rubber tracks you are taking off your machines? Throwing them in the dumpster, selling them, etc? Thanks for the help.

Replies32
  1. #1akroadrunner2011-05-25 10:12

    Seems like they would be good for planter rings, or other landscaping projects. How about cutting them so you can lay them flat on your trailer for traction mats. Just drill and bolt them down. Might protect the trailer bed nicely. Give them to a friend who goes 4 wheeling. He can use them to get unstuck if he cut them to lay under the tires.

  2. #2Vantage_TeS2011-05-25 10:56

    Be careful about using them as trailer decking, unless it never rains there. Gets awfully slippery when wet! We use them for road crossings for tracked machines, or laying down on the shop floor so you can walk machines in without messing up your nice concrete. If you don't have any tracked machines offer them to someone who does. Otherwise take to a tire recycling place!

  3. #3lgammon2011-05-26 03:27

    i gave one to one off my 277 and he cut it, and now it is the side walk to the front of his trailer.....i love it. got keep guys like that around just to see the stuff they do. i think i have a pic somewhere. i will see if i can find it

  4. #4maddog2011-05-26 07:32

    good ideas, they work good on snowmobile trailers for traction.

  5. #5HSV1272011-05-26 16:40

    You can make them into a muck scraper like this.

  6. #6dave esterns2011-05-26 17:16

    oh ho!! you have a JCB Fastrac!!! How sweet!! I always wanted one of those!! How do you like it?? I would like to have the newer 8250. the one with the cvt and the more conventional tractor design.

  7. #7KSSS2011-05-26 19:09

    Thats a great idea.

  8. #8QuickTrax2011-05-26 19:36

    You guys have some good ideas. When we install new tracks onto a machine we try to send the old tracks back with the customer. If we can't get the customer to take them back we try to give them away for equipment crossing cement or asphalt roads.

  9. #9HSV1272011-05-27 16:08

    Hi dave, We've had a few Fastracs over the years, they have been good tractors especially the later model ones (2002 onwards), they suit our operation as we travel up to 300km to some jobs. We bought the first 8250 to come to NZ a 2006 model which has the CVT and all the same running gear as the later ones, only it still uses the old style cab. Here's a pic.

  10. #10dave esterns2011-05-29 17:35

    sweet ride... i have imagined before that if you had a non cvt equipped fastrac, you would be constantly shifting when on the road. do they still make both styles of 8250? i have seen nice used ones around here for 125000 us dollars. i suspect they are over 200000 new. the only concern i have with owning one is the implements not being able to hold up to the constant high speed both on road and in the field. it seems you are from europe where implements are designed for this.

  11. #11Deereman2011-05-29 20:04

    Thats some great ideas for the tracks guys. Interested to see what else ya'll come up with!!

  12. #12PDG X2011-07-13 13:59

    What to do with old rubber tracks I cut 4 pieces to use on the ramps and dovetail of the trailer to be able to load the D3. The lugs fit between the angle irons and the track grips the rubber quite well.

  13. #13brushmaster902011-07-15 15:26

    I personally have mine laying behind my shop, with a bunch of other useless junk.

  14. #14JeremiahSr2011-07-15 15:33

    Im with you brushmaster. I have 3 sets stacked up in the back. I keep thinkin im gona come up with sumthin good........

  15. #15usco2011-07-25 17:03

    i have several sets liying around have some ideas now dont know why i never thought of them for crossing

  16. #16jkiser962011-08-06 18:57

    I have a set that broke off my 430 BC. I dug a trench & laid them on edge & made a half circle sand box for my son.

  17. #17xcmark2011-08-06 20:44

    Hope the neiborhood doesnt have any outdoor kats...... I can recall some 35+ years ago when I was a little guy finding burried nugget .

  18. #18250c2011-08-07 11:40

    LOL Brushmaster we might be related!

  19. #19yanmarman2011-08-12 18:21

    ever tried smoking them? na just kidding

  20. #20natesowa2011-09-09 23:47

    Could use some used rubber tracks The best use I can think of is to sell me a 400x72.5x74. I am in northern Ohio but am willing to drive to surrounding states if necessary.

  21. #21LWG2011-09-10 10:13

    Have you seen the snow boxes that are made from a very large truck or tractor tire cut in half? Take the tire half and just put a little steel around it, and mount it to the front of your machine. I was thinking about doing the same thing with a section of track. Take 6 or 7 feet of it, put a little steel behind it, and stick it to a quick-attach plate. No damage to the road surface from a cutting edge, and you wouldn't have the cost of the polyurethane edges for a a traditional snow blade.

  22. #22pafarmer2012-04-28 18:22

    We put them in our snowmobile trailer to prevent the studs from chewing up the inside plywood decking......Works good for the intented purpose....

  23. #23CM19952012-06-19 19:13

    Older thread but I have to ask the question - What to do with the rubber tracks that have the steel "T-bones" in them? Can't use them for road crossings for obvious reasons.:beatsme

  24. #24Captn2012-10-29 00:58

    Looks like something I'd put on the front of my Mitsubishi Fuso box truck's bumper for pushing or... put it across the back of my Bobcat 853 engine door as a bumper guard just in case it gets backed into something so protect the door. Just a few thoughts.

  25. #25jmkr022012-11-01 15:12

    Plow blade cutting edge might be nice.

  26. #26traxter2012-12-20 15:26

    We actually found a scrap yard that gives us money for them! Not much, but still something for nothing.

  27. #27Captn2013-01-04 22:32

    I'd love to have a few to try on my 853C. They would be better than nothing when you operate in Florida.. .the get stuck capitol of the world. :O

  28. #28CKRubbertracks2013-05-07 11:50

    Brilliant!

  29. #29moe0072016-11-26 06:56

    scrap tracks hi traxter, i see your post is from 2012, but just wanted to know if the scrap yard still pays you for the scrap rubber tracks? i have a whole bunch of them..

  30. #30clintm2016-11-26 20:53

    I have some off mini excavator that I bite in the 4in1 bucket and scape off concrete works pretty good

  31. #31Jmac032016-12-02 15:31

    I have seen them used as bump stops on a dock. I cut mine into 4' or 6' length, lay them teeth down and drag behind my tractor for raking/refinishing a lawn or horse arena. Works well with the weight of the track

  32. #32grandpa2016-12-03 10:01

    I use mine to line the hoppers on my gravel equipment. Last on a long time.