Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What tracks should be on my D4?

ScottNC ยท 2017-03-27 16:08

'67 D4 78A7177. Looking for a used set of chains or tracks. I was told both D4 dozer and 941 loader tracks fit but on further investigation it seems there is more to the story than that. Among the possible variables; dry unsealed pins, dry sealed pins, 1.99" or 2.12" bushing diameters, thick or thin chain link thickness. On something this old there is no telling whats on there currently. What should it have and how do I verify if that is what is on there now? Thanks!!

Replies18
  1. #1Old Magnet2017-03-27 17:12

    Get the track link part number off what you have.

  2. #2DMiller2017-03-27 20:20

    What I have in my old catalogs was the flat D4 was one series, the D4D and E were another. The earlier shared rails with 955C and 941 the latter with 941B 943 and 215. Link numbers as well a call to Cat Parts will help.

  3. #3Metalman 552017-03-27 20:51

    This is the part # taken from the chains on my D4D.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2017-03-27 21:27

    I believe a 78A should be a D4D

  5. #5Metalman 552017-03-27 21:46

    Yes that's correct, my machine is a 78A........D4D.

  6. #6ScottNC2017-03-28 10:54

    The local Cat house's parts book (microfiche) show it as both D4 and D4D. The last of several paint jobs left the tractor with D4 decals. Not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things, but is there a defining something that sets a D4D apart from a lowly D4? This evening I will take note of the numbers on my tracks. It was suggested by a used parts fellow in Kentucky I buy new chains, that the cost is fairly reasonable compared to what fair quality used ones would bring. In following up on that idea, just what I it was my machine has on it came up.

  7. #7DMiller2017-03-28 12:02

    When you figure out the rail segment p/n that will give all the info as to bushing diameter and rail dimensions for height, that even if a Berco or any other aftermarket rail can be looked up. As to numbering on yours, many older Cats only had the base designator on the decals, D6's come to mind right off, some did and most did not have the suffix designator where the s/n was the only way to distinguish.

  8. #8ScottNC2017-03-29 09:36

    A little thread shift.... D., I just noticed your location, you have a winery, Stone Hill in Herman. They make what I consider to be the best Norton/Cynthiana wines in the U.S. I am jealous. I use their Norton wine as inspiration to make my own better.

  9. #9DMiller2017-03-29 10:29

    We have several wineries around including Stone Hill, a few are as good as The Hill and many have found the grape growing business to be temperamental at best! Their Norton is among the nation's finest where it has won many awards, the problem is the really wet years is becomes drier with the grapes being more full and liquid filled where the really dry years it gets some sweeter as the fruit intensifies sugar content and less fluid content, soil type and acidity is also a part of the equation but only a part. They have managed to keep consistency for the last few but are suspecting the next few years will change the Norton quite a bit, will see how this last years batch turned out in a few weeks. Hermann is a fairly acid soil region of Loess type granular soil over heavy or hard limestone that counters that acidity at times.

  10. #10ScottNC2017-03-29 16:11

    One question... as I am about to place an order with them for the wife's 60th birthday, then I'll get back to dozers. What, in your opinion is the best vintage Stone Hill?

  11. #11DMiller2017-03-29 16:30

    I have been fond of all the Nortons' from 2014 back, may have some fun finding those, 2013 was the last I opened and loved every drop. I also enjoy a spot glass of their 2006 Port both Red and White, if you have not tried the white you need to, very interesting blend of flavors. They also have a very mellow Chambourcin, my last bottle on shelf is a 2011.

  12. #12DMiller2017-03-29 18:48

    Scottnc, I sent you a private conversation, not sure you can find those but has lots of info in it.

  13. #13ScottNC2017-03-29 20:23

    FWIW here is the number on my chain kinks; 7K1825. The number was extremely difficult to read so if any of you familiar with such things can verify that this is indeed a good number I'd appreciate it.

  14. #14Old Magnet2017-03-29 21:42

    7K1825/1826 are good link numbers. They have the 2.12 (large diameter bushings) 36 section dry track 9/16 pad bolting. You could change up to sealed or sealed and lubricated track with alligator links but pad bolting changes to 5/8" dia.

  15. #15ScottNC2017-03-30 08:25

    I'm finding search hits for both numbers O.M., are they the same/interchangeable?

  16. #16DMiller2017-03-30 08:50

    Stepping up to SALT undercarriage with heavier bolting would not be so bad. The larger bushing diameter in a used set could come from a 943 if could find decent. Otherwise may be time to invest in ITR or Berco as a aftermarket, even Cat Classic parts in new?

  17. #17ScottNC2017-03-30 10:34

    The sad fact is the age of the machine. Just like me, while it starts and runs well and uses no oil, once on new tracks the value of the whole will be less than the money just spent. Found some used chains on-line for about $350/side. Don't know the condition yet or if they are loose links or assembled.

  18. #18Old Magnet2017-03-30 11:26

    7K1825 is the RH link, 7K1826 is the LH link. 7K2049 is a 36 section assembly. Add master pin, bushing and spacer.