Hey I was wondering if anyone would know what this hydraulic hammer is worth and how hard and how expensive to rebuild. What is involved in a rebuild and what is replaced in a rebuild? Looking at bidding on this and need a baseline as to what it worth. I know it is a gamble as they dont give much info on it. Best I can tell I think it is a kf6 kent hammer. Does Kent have good parts support? http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?150910/AY9807
FRD USA Attachment Division (formerly marketed as Kent Demolition Tool) Here's the web site http://frdusa.com/cms/frd/page.html?p_name=Home Judging by the condition of the chisel, its seen a lot of rock.
No Rock hammer experts out there at all?
I've built a lot of the brands out there, but haven't messed with kent. Rebuilding is a piece of cake, it's just a matter of having the right tooling to take the tie rods out and charge the accumulator, getting the upper bushing out can be a bear if you don't have a press but isn't too terribly bad. Hard parts can quickly flirt with the total cost of a new hammer if bad. If you can get it for cheap enough could be worth a gamble, may just need seals and possibly bushings. Where in SW missouri are you? I am in Pittsburg KS and if you want someone with a good deal of hammer experience to assist you in teardown I'd be more than happy to help.
I am in Bois D Arc MO. about 15 miles west of Springfield MO. I don't think Pittsburg KS is to awfully far from here. I do not have a press but can get access to an extremely large one at the machine shop where my Buddy works. Whats involved in charging the accumulator? Nitrogen I am assuming? I have a nitrogen tank and can rig up regulators and hose if need be. What would be a good gamble on this? I am thinking $900 is that to much?
900 wouldn't be too bad, the lower the better, that way if you get her open and the piston and valve are shot, you arent sitting on a too expensive piece of scrap iron. as far as the accumulator, the essential part will be the charging assembly, which screws into the accumulator. If you can't locate one for a reasonable price, the accumulator can usually be sent off to the manufacturer to be recharged there. Did they say that if the hammer was working when pulled? also if you can get the model and SN i may be able to find out what a rebuild would run on this just with basic resealing and bushings. Depending on the condition of the tie rods, they may need replacement as well. Some manufacturers say if one tie rod is broken just replace it and the one caddy corner to it, however I have always replaced all four. If you prefer text to internet feel free to shoot me a message at (919) 616-2257
After looking over the pictures, I would go $500.00. The top cap is what holds the hammer in the outer shell so the tie rods would at leat be protected from the other abuse it has survived. The pin bores in the top cap have seen better days. The lack of a build up of grease on the tool tells me the bushings are also questionable at best. Also by the adaptor bushings on the top cap tends me thinking it went on a larger machine than it was originally intnded for. My $.02.
I don't know much about breakers but have charged accumulators in the field a few times. The worst part of that was trying to find the adapter fitting to hook into the accumulator. One thing I've always been warned about was not laying the tools down flat for extended periods of time. Problem is that every time I've looked at one of those they have been laying down for extended periods of time. So my question is what is the harm or what should a person look for when they are on the ground like that?
Had a chance to go down to Branson and look at this thing today. First off the size is much bigger than what the picture on the auction site indicates. Pictures are so deceiving. I belive this to be a KF9 hammer and i really need a KF6 size for busting up sidewalk and driveways. I think this hammer is overkill and would be right at the end of our hydraulics ability to adequately run. Besides all that my first impression of this hammer is JUNK!!!!! I am no expert and have no experience with hammers but I have 25 years mechanical experience working on multitudes of machines and this thing looked used well into the JUNK category. If you pull the end of the bit and wiggle it will move a good inch to inch and a half stop to stop end play. Id say the bushings are beyond worn out. Hoses are well dry rotted and will need replaced. And then the obvious huge ass crack in the top cap of the hammer body is a good indication to me of needing a major rebuild and expensive parts will be needed. They said they haven't used it for 5-6 years and quite using it when they bought brand new caterpillar backhoes with brand new hammers already on the hoe. Im calling ******** and would be surprised if this thing would even fire if hydraulics hooked to it. I would be scared to hook it to a hydraulic system to even try it for the risk of contaminating a good system with water and junk from it laying in the dirt all these years. Here is a good pic of the crack.
You don't want it, I know them well, they didn't stop useing it because of the new cats, they still run more deere's than cats and that's what they ran this breaker on. Looks like a money pit to me.
Yea thats pretty much what I thought. You sure could tell when you looked at it in person.
Buying a breaker out of Branson that was owned by the biggest company in town during the boom is going to be like that, not to mention help was often hard to find and they hired alot of inexperienced operators.
That seems to be normal for this area. Anyone that has the skill and experience to command better wages aren't going to stick around this low paying area. Its hard as heck to find good help out here.
You got that right.
Just to let you guys know this worn out old beat to hell hammer went for $3200 at auction. I just cant imagine why unless kent hammers are worth lots of money for parts or they dont cost much to rebuild. I am sure there is a reason but not sure why. This hammer was beat to hell then left to sit and rot for years. Got another one to go look at this weekend.
Perhaps, the bidders didn't know about the cracked housing. That's always a risk when bidding on used equipment over the internet. Be glad you missed this one.
Went and looked at this hammer today. Did not even argue price and handed the man the money said thank you and went on our way. Will start new thread specific to this breaker.