Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheel Bearing stuck… Louisville 8000, please help

Nick009 ยท 2012-08-03 08:56

Hi Guys, I just bought myself a 1980 LNT 8000 tipper. On the way home from buying it the front left wheel fell off. The outer bearing gave way. I've been working on changing the bearings so I can the wheel back on and get this truck back on the road. The trouble is I can't seem to get the new bearing onto the tapered stub axle. The old bearing goes on, it is very tight, but a little bit of jiggling and it goes on nicely. The new bearing, same part number will not go on no matter how hard I push. I actually removed it from the hub so I could try it by itself. From what I understand it needs to be in the hub with the seal before you mount the hub on the stub axle. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Replies10
  1. #1FWD2012-08-03 21:52

    Make sure the bearing inside surface is clean. New bearings usually come with a coating to prevent rust. Also make sure the surface on the spindle is clean and smooth, no burs or scratches. Be careful when you install the seal. Once the bearing and seal are in the hub apply oil to the sealing surfaces. The outer bearing goes in once the hub is in place. FWD

  2. #2Nick0092012-08-03 22:16

    Thanks FWD, The surface on the spindle is a bit rough, should I try smoothing it out with some emery paper? The new bearing feels very smooth and clean. Is there any sort of tool that will help to push the hub on with the new bearing installed in it? Thanks again, Nick

  3. #3FWD2012-08-03 22:53

    Clean the rough surface with emery paper. You could put a coat of light oil on the surface. Keep trying the bearing before you install it in the hub. Once the bearing slides on then put it in the hub, then the seal. I don't know of any tool to push the hub on. You can use a floor jack to support the hub but it shouldn't need anything to force it on. FWD

  4. #4Nick0092012-08-04 00:36

    Ok I will try that first thing Monday morning, I'm working all weekend. I'll post back on Monday Thanks again!

  5. #5willie592012-08-04 00:38

    I agree with FWD, that inner bearing should fit snug on spindle shaft, but you shouldn't have to drive it on. You mentioned old bearing was tight going on, new bearing is even worse, gotta be something amiss on that spindle if old bearing is tight slipping on shaft.

  6. #6Hendrik2012-08-04 00:59

    I would be measuring everything to make sure the bearing is the right size and that the axle stub is the right size. Being an old truck it may have been fitted with another axle stub at some stage. Axle bearings should go on relatively easy, other wise they would be hard to remove. You can give it a light tap with the blunt tool but be careful and use a piece of wood to protect the hub. Do the numbers match on the actual old and new bearing?

  7. #7Hendrik2012-08-04 01:11

    Axle bearings will want to be a tight fit but yeah should go on with minimum of force, that's why I suggested that there may be a manufacturer error in the new bearing.

  8. #8Nick0092012-08-04 09:48

    Thanks everyone, My outer bearing collapsed while I was limping home and the whole hub fell off. The spindle doesn't look damaged. The brake linings were just scratched. I will try and clean the spindle up and see if the bearings go on easier. The part numbers are the same, I took the the old bearing in to the parts shop and they matched it for me.

  9. #9Nick0092012-08-07 08:26

    Ok I'm back on the road....well I will be after I change the bearings in the other front wheel! Thanks guys for your words of wisdom and advice. I emery clothed the spindle and the bearing slid on very nicely! I'm so glad I asked here before banging with a hammer!

  10. #10Hendrik2012-08-09 20:09

    Didn't have your weet bix in the morning?