I just had to buy a door hinge for my Deere 310SG and it was $189. A CAT 420D door hinge is $72. I am done with this nonsense. I considered myself a Deere guy but I am done with it. How long have I been paying double for parts with Deere? Is this recent? I have spent a lot of money over the years with Deere and this is the first time I decided to compare the price to CAT.
What'd you buy? AT184524? List is $124.57 You wouldn't by chance be using Murphy Tractor? Ever since the bought up Doyle Equipment, they had been charging me 18% over list price. I think, after years of whining, they've got me back to list price.
Yep that is the part number and it is $189.59. Honnen Equipment is who runs thing out here. Where do you look up the list price? Is that what Deere charges the dealers or what?
Sorry...working off old list pricing. $191.05 is my current pricing.
Well its good to know I am not paying more than everyone else. It makes me wonder if all Deere parts are double the price of CAT. This has to be a recent thing right?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all parts have gone through the roof. I heard this summer cat raised all part prices by 15%
They've always been kinda nonsense
Clown World 22. Be glad they had one.
Sounds like our Bobcat dealer. Before I divorced Bobcat I could order parts from Atlanta that were cheaper with shipping than our local dealer.
Yeah all parts have gone through the roof but it blows my mind that Deere is double of CAT for the same part. It's like Deere raised their parts prices by 100%. Will there ever be a correction or will it just get worse? Who knows. I just had to vent.
1837
My experience has been fairly comparable parts prices say what you will about parts but with deere in recent years I have not had the emissions system down time that I have with comparable cat equipment so in my mind if I paid more for the parts at the moment I am still ahead
Buy some blank PacCar ignition keys, Any key stamped with the Peterbilt logo-hold on to your scrap diddly.
Honnen is usually one of the cheaper JD parts sellers. You can always try eBay and hope you get the right part.
Yeah I have no problem with Honnen - they are a great company. I buy parts all the time so this is a trivial part, but I have been noticing a trend of crazy pricing so I thought it was a perfect part to compare since it such a basic part.
That tiny little plastic breather filter on the Cat fuel caps is more expensive than 2 oil changes on my pickup. Definitely clown world these days.
I was looking up a plastic oil filler cap today, the one color is like $6 and the other color is like $40 and they are interchangeable although from different models. In this case, I am quite sure they had a sensible price on the old color that has been incrementing slowly over the years. On the new one, some new guy probably set the price by today's standards of "whatever we can get" but neglected to look at the old version, so people like me who remember stuff can see this pricing philosophy at work.
I know back in 20013-14 JD decided to mark up all older parts a ton. Push pull cable went from $80 to $160-$200 over-night. Local parts shop bought a cable making machine right after, said JD had made them a ton of money.
Working in the parts supply side of this industry I can hand on heart say it's not the companies supplying you that is upping the price, we've just had 3 10-15% price increases in the last 12 months from our suppliers who claim that the manufacturers are doing it to them, who in turn claim the raw materials suppliers are doing it them.
Local parts shop bought a cable making machine right after, said JD had made them a ton of money. Needed a cable a few years ago, hit every parts store in town and only found one where they even knew what bodin cable was. They didn't have any or know where to get any but they did know what I wanted. I have a pair of the winder pliers to put the loop on the end, but no cable. The world is going to hell he sez. Joe H
I got mostly john deere and I noticed parts went up, but by me at least, cat is extremely expensive. Havnt bought cat stuff in a couple years so maybe things changed but if cat is cheaper now I may just start buying cat then. Plus cat usually can get anything you need opposed to other brands not all parts are available.
Cat generally supports older machines much better than anyone else. Some brands discontinue parts in 20 years or less.
I picked up a couple of new JD Gator fenders at auction real cheap, and I was stunned to find these couple of pieces of molded plastic retail at AU$722 locally, and they're US$360 in the States. Mind you, you get a couple of decals on each fender for your major outlay.
Well.....dads x724 riding mower needs a new radiator, $ 706.00 list, really? ***? Unreal. Ed
Not anymore. Slimy buggers have stopped making parts for my Challenger 95E tractors. Can't get new drive wheels or parts to build a new tension cylinder. Had the parts guy actually tell me when I was b!tching about it that I should probably consider getting different tractors. That was not the right thing to say to me.
Maybe because the Challengers were taken over by **/Agco, is why Cat stopped supporting them? Does Agco offer any assistance for parts? Not good if no one supports them.
Back to Orphan Machine makes, ICKY!! Front axle shaft seals on my little Ford F250 FWD, $115 EACH Side for Outers, $46 for inners, Inner Shaft to Diff seals $75 each, at one time could reseal a entire Dana 50 for $100 and change included Hub Seals for repack, now close to a $500 with a tube of Gray Goo for the cover. ALL Made ROC(Taiwan).
I think AGCO was supposed to take over parts support and we are also supposed to be an AGCO dealer but the support and service information we get from AGCO is pretty garbage.
Just priced an alternator for my 9k hour Takeuchi TB180FR through Takeuchi. $1248.00 UsD Nothing but a Denso 55A 12V alternator that I bought at a local store for $280UsD. Not a knockoff...a genuine denso, new, not reman.
That's about the same as a new water pump for a 3204 from Cat, $1200cad!
Had to replace the alternator on the 621B couple years ago. Just your run-of-the-mill 125a 24V Delco. Case wanted $1100 for a new one, or $750 for a reman. Napa wasn't much better at $475. A local guy in Minot rebuilds alternators and starters, but only if they are original OEM. He said mine was a reman, but since I had driven 100 miles up there, he sold me one off the shelf for $189. Said this was my one exception and told me take my old piece of junk with me to throw in the scrap pile.
So, back to the Deere nonsense. Used to buy the side bits for my scrapers for $150, cutting edge sections for $200. End bits are now $550, edges are $400. The tail rollers for the ejector are absolutely stupid priced, $1350 for a complete assembly. A bearing kit is $200, seal is $100, and the shaft is $250. They do not offer the roller itself individually. I bought a third scraper this fall, and it needed an ejector cylinder rod. No rod available for any price, but I could buy a complete new cylinder for $5500. FML.
Welder Dave, I just picked up a water pump for the 3204 in my 931B from Hong Kong for US$99 - including free delivery to my door via DHL. Jeendapower.com. Who is the best supplier for engine components for the 3204? I found some pieces of piston skirt in the crankcase, so I'm looking for an engine kit. It still runs just fine, but I'm not prepared to run it for too long, knowing what I do now.
I just installed a new bumper on a T990 KW this morning-$1,899.00.
My last and final deere experience was with an HPX diesel several years ago. The Gator tapped a tree coming up a hill in the snow and bent the tie rod socket but Deere didn’t sell just that part. Had to buy the entire rack n pinion. Another occasion, Replaced a front rotor/hub assembly and the box it came in proudly said “made in USA”. The cast part inside clearly was marked “china”. Shame on you John Deere. They were quite proud of those replacement parts. I think my best experience with OEM has been Grasshopper. They’re mowers are pricey but replacement parts are reasonably priced and individually component parts have consistently been available for the issues we’ve had over the years. That’s been refreshing when so many other OEMs make you buy the whole assembly. That experience gets even worse like on the Gator rack n pinion where the new one fits and functions but looks noticeably cheaper than the original.
Back in my oilfield days we lost the alternator on a komatsu dozer. Called the dealer and they wanted $2400. Took it to a local independent guy. Held it out and said “ pop quiz. What is it and how much.” He didn’t take it, just looked at it.” Delco something or other. 24 volt. About $350.” Bingo. “ I’ll take two please “
Damn. I thought the $3000 fan and fan clutch assembly from Deere was ridiculous for our 9420. Makes me really glad it didn't take out the radiator when it came loose. I really hate buying parts for some machines. We had a Deere 304H that the coolant temperature switch went out on. Caused the coolant fan to always run on high speed. Small switch, size of a ¾" pipe plug with two prongs for the wires. $240 plus tax. Same loader, fuel shutoff solenoid went bad. Another $240 plus tax. For awhile, everytime we turned around a small part broke on that loader that was always $200+ .
I talked to a guy tonight from Alaska that was telling me he got a “quote” for his Deere Stanadyne injection pump @ 1100.00 MINIMUM, site unseen.. for a reman.!!(at a fuel shop)
IPD. They make 3 ring pistons for the 3200 series engines. My 3204 starts instantly and runs great built with IPD parts.
Delphi Injection pump reman on a 3054 from cat 2 grand plus core Fuel shop should be about 1100 go figure
Agco actually made the Challenger tractors and the hardware is essentially the same as some model in the Massey-Ferguson line. A parts person at a M-F dealership should be able to tell you what Massey tractor is comparable. Software is something else. Not much if any in the smaller tractors is computer controlled, but on the larger models, things such as the hitch and transmission software are CAT’s own design. At the Deere dealership I worked at, we had a customer who owned a larger Challenger on tracks, and he had to get Milton to deal with some things, especially one persistant hitch calibration problem.
Tractors I'm referring to are a bit before your time. The original Challenger tractors were designed and produced by Caterpillar. The 65, 65B, 65C-85C, D, and E models. These tractors are all Cat. In my experience over the years, this is what happens with ANYTHING good. Now, this is obviously a subjective opinion, based on someone having ran a particular machine for enough years to gain it, but in regards to the flat-track Challengers, I don't believe you will find anything in agriculture that is as respected except for a Soundgard Deere.
Why are they that well built it would make sense cause in the late 80s early 90s cat was building some solid things What year is your challenger
98s