Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where do minis go to die?

rossaroni ยท 2014-12-29 21:37

I'm looking to pick up a used swing boom base for a 303.5, as mine could use a line boring on the boom hydraulic cylinder hole, but dont have time to be without it. Does anyone know of a wrecking yard for these sorts of things? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1Shimmy12014-12-29 21:42

    How much does Cat want for a new one?

  2. #2lantraxco2014-12-29 22:18

    Machinery Trader and Rock and Dirt show dismantled machines, or you can search by part number if you have it. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...ID=3&Manu=CATERPILLAR&Mdltxt=303.5&mdlx=exact

  3. #3joispoi2014-12-30 08:22

    I just had the bucket hole bored and sleeved on my PC50. I just took the dipper off and brought it to a machine shop. I had it back the next day. I can't imagine that you will save much time or money with used parts in this case.

  4. #4DoyleX2014-12-30 08:47

    The local dealer sells the entire casting as the price to weld and bore is almost the same. My kmartsu on the other hand it was better to bore. You'll need to get the pin rechromed also.

  5. #5rossaroni2014-12-30 21:13

    Cat gave me a price quote of 15XX for the replacement piece - that is discontinued anyhow. Looks like that makes up my mind for me Joispoi, what did they charge to bore things out for you?

  6. #6bigbob2014-12-31 06:48

    Is this piece a casting? If it I, you may not be able to line bore it. I think I asked the question once to my PSSR when I was looking at a used machine and he said since it was a casting, it could not be line bored. Check on that first.

  7. #7joispoi2014-12-31 13:25

    They charged me 540 euros to bore it, sleeve it and press in the new bushings that I supplied. They custom made the sleeves.

  8. #8AirBornOne2015-01-02 10:03

    I'm real curious as to why a casting can't be line bored. Engine blocks are line bored-they're castings.

  9. #9lantraxco2015-01-02 14:04

    Line bored and sleeved, yes. Some outfits won't bore weld a cast piece, I've heard stories of warping/cracking, catastrophic failures after the fact?

  10. #10rossaroni2015-01-02 15:22

    Cast is tricky, agreed. It must be brought up to temp, worked on quickly, brought back up to temp, cooled slowly, and even still there are no guarantees. I called outside of my local Cat rep to Cleveland Brothers, who deals in used parts. Gave Jason in Used Parts the PN and he called me back in half an hour with a quality used piece (within spec) for 500.00 USD It ships in Tuesday. Glad for the service, as I would have hated to think that I would give up a good machine because of one piece going bad and no longer being available.