Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to find this tool

Tyler d4c · 2021-01-18 20:52

I'm hunting a caterpillar 368-9914 pressure group from cat its stupid money that my chinsy tool budget won't allow any help is much appreciated. I'm sure there's some where I can find one. Would also like to find the 308-7265 photo tach group

Replies18
  1. #1crane operator2021-01-18 21:11

    Are you just checking pressure on a machine? I've seen bank type set ups, and I've always kind of liked the Mico set ups, but a lot of those are 4- 6,000psi. Are you testing something that goes to the 10,000psi? You can just get liquid gauges and have your hyd. guy make up hoses with whatever fittings you need. The mico ones, peg the little gauge, then it flows to the next one, and then the next gauge, one hose connection and 3 gauges. If its under 6,000psi it will read it. You could just have a 10k gauge if you are that much pressure.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2021-01-18 21:21

    Thats all it is I already have a very large collection of gauges but I just dream of using my fancy dance auction sale multi tool. I've always wanted one of those tetra gauges also just haven't run across one

  3. #3funwithfuel2021-01-18 21:25

    Go to ebay and search, "hydraulic test kit" there's a bunch of genuine Chinese glycerin filled gauges in blow molded cases for cheap. There's also the digital option. 0-10k in one. I type slow....

  4. #4Nige2021-01-18 21:29

    368-9914 is the pressure gauge tool group for the 368-9910 Cat Multi-Tool. Everything associated with that tool must be gold-plated judging by the prices of it. Cat Tetragauge. Part Number 6V-7830. Available from your local friendly Cat dealer or used from eBay or similar. I'd only recommend it if you have no idea whatsoever of what pressure might be in the circuit you are measuring. A tetraguage, or something like it, is the only pressure measurement tool I know that can be guaranteed not to blow up under those circumstances. Or see if you can find a 1U-5481 (aka transmission test box) on sale used. You might also consider the 1U-5482 Fittings Group which is all the test hoses & couplers/adapters. AFAIK 1U-5481/5482 are discontinued so you'll have to search around a bit. https://www.grays.com/lot/0224-7017...-pressure-test-gauge-group-and-5-extra-gauges

  5. #5Cmark2021-01-18 21:31

    My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid the tetragauge. They are big and clumsy and when it falls on the floor, which it inevitably will, it will break easily. YMMV.

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-01-18 21:35

    It's hard to find genuine Chinese tools anymore they have been off shoring to Bangladesh, times are getting rough can't count on top quality Chinese tools anymore.

  7. #7crane operator2021-01-18 21:37

    Ohhh, I didn't know there was a digital one. $400 isn't bad. https://www.amazon.com/XZT-Hydraulic-Excavator-Construction-Machinery/dp/B0148IVABM

  8. #8Tyler d4c2021-01-18 22:06

    Yeah I got this multi tool quite sometime ago and everytime I restart the search it just seems to get more discouraging I guess I may never get to use the dang paper weight. Nige I think I could put one of those test boxes together if I ready felt the need. In the end for the time being unless I happen in to a good find ill just keep using my hand me down set up I and about due for some new guages maybe I'll pony up for a digital or 2 next time I need them.

  9. #9funwithfuel2021-01-19 06:58

    The only drawback to digital is the transducer has a tendency to smooth out any pressure pulses. Something you can clearly see in analog gauges. In my opinion, the only advantages to digital are A) they aren't temperature sensitive B) one gauge covers a wide pressure range. C) you can tell it what values you're working with. PSI, Kg, in Hg or Kpa and it does all the converting for you. Analog provides the visual needle. You can see vibrations, you can see the needle get pulled down against the stop peg in a negative pressure instance. Gauges matched to working pressure seem to be tuned a little tighter, whereas a 10k gauge loses resolution lower in the scale. I'm old, I like analog. I carry digital cuz the company supplies them and that what they want, most often, I rely on my analog.

  10. #10JD955SC2021-01-22 21:04

    I work at a Cat dealer and I have never seen this fancy multi tool. I’m convinced it’s existence is confined to the catalog and it’s purpose is only for supervisors with purchasing authorization to laugh at the price and decline to approve it in favor of simpler to use and cheaper tools.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2021-01-22 21:12

    Sure seems that way the cat shop i worked at we where luck to have ones that returned to zero it seemed.

  12. #12JD955SC2021-01-22 21:18

    I ended up buying my own analog gauges and hoses so I know I am getting accurate results and not a “shop re-calibrated” reading. There is also a fancy stand alone digital pressure gauge group in the catalog. Different transducers that plug into a unit that looks like a multimeter. Ridiculously expensive for a mechanic’s budget and I’ve only seen two. One was at my tech college and one was at Momma Cat herself at the paving plant where I was taking a training class. It’s aggravating because the transducers have a cumbersome tangly cord and can only be used in their rated ranges or they die from higher pressure and instead of killing a $70 gauge it’s something like a $200 transducer.

  13. #1392U 34062021-01-22 23:33

    I wasn't a fan of the digital pressure transducers. Tried them once or twice. As was mentioned above they tend to not show pulsation as well as a regular gauge. The only real point I liked was not having a pressurized test hose in close proximity to me while stalling out functions. These were the ones that plugged into a multimeter-looking thing. From what I remember, you could only view 1 transducer at a time. I prefer to have several gauges connected and set up to view simultaneously. The phototach. I think I've used the Cat one a few times to calibrate fans. Works the same as any other phototach I've used.

  14. #14JD955SC2021-01-23 08:59

    Yep you could show only one pressure at a time. It would also do pressure differential between two sensors too. as far as photo tach goes the Cat one has two advantages- magnetic mounts and input for two sensors. Everything else about the multitach is a major hassle. Battery is always dead, as in won’t take a charge at all, tangly cords everywhere, etc. The $75-100 handheld is a lot more convenient like a point and shoot thermometer.

  15. #15rmllarue912021-01-23 10:49

    I don't see many people using these but have been out for 10+ years I have few and love them m

  16. #16rmllarue912021-01-23 10:54

    I have one that goes from -30hg to 250psi i use that for fuel oil air anything low pressure very accurate and a 5800 and 8700 psi they have min max and can switch to bar with click of a button years of abuse no issues and great battery life little pricey but we'll worth it all mine are pd style quick connect but they have all major connectors

  17. #17rmllarue912021-01-23 10:59
  18. #18Nige2021-01-23 11:02

    As was mentioned above the digital gauges are fine & dandy until you get into off-the-wall diagnostics where you are looking for pressure spikes that often manifest themselves as quivering in the needle of an analogue gauge but are impossible to see on a digital one. The only thing I've ever used that came close (in fact was better than) analogue gauges in that scenario was a Dataview Portable Tech Station set to sample pressures at either 10Hz or 50hz. Pressure spikes on the readout were as clear as the nose on your face.