Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to post questions about pouring slabs?

RenoHuskerDu · 2020-04-28 13:35

I don't know which subforum here fits. Did a web search, and every other his was paid site concrete.com which has info but you have to join and pay. And who knows if it's good info, or just pimping contractors who paid to be there. Any cement jockeys out here?

Replies13
  1. #1moosefd2020-04-28 14:20

    Been doing it all my life here in Oklahoma. I’ll try to answer your question.

  2. #2RenoHuskerDu2020-04-28 15:13

    OK, I have an existing small Hardieplank and framing pump house that houses the pressure tank and softener system for our well water. The well is next to it, outside. It seems to be a quality little slab, about 6' x 6' The guy who built our place did good work, but he died in 2014 so I can't ask him if it has rebar in it or what. I wonder if it is feasible to pour a larger slab directly adjacent, so the old slab is on the corner of the new slab. I guess I'd have to drill into the old slab sides and sink some rebar in there with cement, so the new slab could hold on to that rebar. Just wondering if this idea is worth a crap, or if it stinks. The goal is to have a larger slab with an above ground water tank on it, under a metal building.

  3. #3NepeanGC2020-04-28 16:41

    We dowel stuff all the time, but...how big is the new slab gonna be? To me, 36 sq ft of concrete aint much to repour...might even be faster than messing around with doweling, and it'll certainly look better as on pour if that's of any consequence.

  4. #4Ronsii2020-04-28 17:38

    If you mean one of those big plastic non-pressure tanks... we've done them before without concrete next to an existing pumphouse... just put down 3-6 inches of crushed 5/8 or similar and plate it good.

  5. #5RenoHuskerDu2020-04-28 19:01

    Sure would, but we're living on that existing well system, so I'd rather leave it run while I pour another 75 sqft next to it. Got kids, don't wanna be without water ever. I guess what you call doweling is what I did to attach concrete walls to slabs on porches in France. Drill down about 5", fill with what the French call chemical adhesive (some kind of epoxy, has two reservoirs in one caulking tube that get mixed in the nozzle when you pump), then sink in the rebar and wait overnight.

  6. #6RenoHuskerDu2020-04-28 19:03

    Yep, probably a plastic tank. But inside a metal Faraday structure with room to add pumps, UPS, batteries, UV sterilization. All designed to continue delivering water after the grid goes down.

  7. #7Ronsii2020-04-28 19:07

    I think it's pump season again up here... have done 3 well pump R&R's in the last couple months... I have a feeling there will be another in the next couple weeks...

  8. #8RenoHuskerDu2020-04-28 19:16

    I have a pump saver on ours and the wife tripped it a few days back, left the garden on overnight. The guy who drilled ours had a nickname - the first part was "short hole" and the second part had to do with his thirst for beer. He lost his license after a DUI and had to sell his rig. Only went down 300' for our well, hit water at 170 and it's tasty but not enough quantity, which is why I want about 2500 gal above ground.

  9. #9moosefd2020-04-28 21:08

    36 sq ft wouldn’t hardly be worth saving. Probably be more trouble to dowel than to tear out. My opinion for what it’s worth.

  10. #10JPSouth2020-05-12 23:49

    2cd this - bust it with a sledge or Dexpan a few holes to break it up, pour everything new.

  11. #11terex herder2020-05-13 18:18

    If your new slab wants to settle, a few dowels in the edge of your old slab isn't going to hold it up.

  12. #12CM19952020-05-13 19:27

    This is the proper forum for the question. Post some pics of the existing slab and the area you want to pour the new slab Reno.

  13. #13joe--h2020-05-13 21:59

    20,000 pounds of water is going to settle both slabs. There's no reason to tie them together, build a separate shed for the tank and the rest. Joe H