From my research I notice all Bobcats components are easily accessible Also saw a lot of praise of Deere models What about Cat Kubota and Takeuchi Or any other mentions like Case Asv and New Holland
Are you talking new/current models or older?
Tier 4
Only thing I have that new is my SVL65-2 Kubota, only have had to do maintenance on it so far but it is easy to work on. Kubota is still hydraulic pilot controls vs electric over hydraulic on most other machines.
I would say just two things. If you are going to buy one with air conditioning, do not buy the Kubota. Their A/C system is horrible when it comes to cleaning . Number two: If you are buying a machine with DEF system, do not buy a Kubota. Unless it is improved, their DEF systems were very troublesome, at least a few years ago they were. I have to admit though, I have been retired for almost 4 years, so maybe they have their problems sorted out.
From what I've been hearing as of lately its seems they have that worked out the dealer was out and did a update on the 90 that where I work My day job owns. Haven't had a trouble with it but it isn't used much
Stay under 75 HP and keep away from machines that require DEF. We have 2-279D's and they have been great machines one has close to 3K hours, both bought new. 74 HP so no DEF. Other than normal service, an alternator and a battery here and there they've been good machines. One has the auto reverse fan which is a nice feature, will not have another CTL without it. The oil filter is in a PITA spot that is messy to change but everything else is fairly accessible for a CTL. Now I made up new cuss words and had one to many violent thoughts towards design engineers working on the 1990 thru 2008 model Bobcats..
Well if you don't need the extra power, it is best to stay clear of DEF regardless of what color. If your not going to use the power, no sense having a that extra equipment and hassle. That said, I recently had my first DEF issue on a 2018 CASE SV340. CASE had a program on the issue and replaced the DEF module for free. I have had 5 DEF machines and that is the first issue I have seen. If BC or Deere have issues with DEF, I have never heard about. Kubota and anyone that uses their motor is another story. Note that some under 75 horse machines still have a DPF even though they are not SCR (Kubota). Others don't have a DPF and are able to meet emissions without having a DPF (CNH and BC, perhaps others). I am not sure what advantage one brand really has over the other when it comes to working on them (Tier 4 models). There is a lot going on in a small area, so working on them is never fun. They are all computer controlled so some guy with a laptop is required at times. The best advancement I have seen lately is the ability to have the dealer download codes from the machine remotely. Similar to what Onstar can do. They can also download upgrades from the factory remotely. That is a nice feature. Some are EH controlled and some Pilot. Pilots have less electronics, but your also limited on what you can do with them. EH you can change patterns by pushing a button and dial the response to how you want it to respond, which you cant with pilots. My first EH machine in 2012 had some handle issues that were warrantied, other than that, I have never had issue with EH reliability.
There's 1 way to fix a bobcat get rid of Bob and buy a cat
^^^this
That’s a tough question. None of them are DIY friendly. Cat itself is hard to deal with as a DIY. Bobcat dealers are probably more user friendly from a business standpoint. At least, you are doing the right thing by asking the question. IDK. I would probably purchase a Bobcat, if it was me. It’s the devil I know and the dealer is great. Kubota is sure getting popular.
This was the single biggest question I asked when looking for my current skid steer. I usually do all my own work. I wanted a machine I could work on myself. I'm not brand loyal in any way. That boils down to 2 things in my mind. A simpler machine and community support. Simpler to me was staying away from the more current emission controls - def, scr, dpf, etc. They seem to be the majority of the problems with newer machine and not DIY friendly. Community support - this forum and others. If you ask a question about almost any brand, you'll get a few answer. You as a question about a bobcat and you get a ton of answers. It seems to me that bobcat is far more supported by members/owners. These 2 things lead me to get a 2013 (last year of pre emissions bobcat engine) S650. So far it's been a great machine and easy maintenance.
Complete opposite here. Cat dealer is much easier to deal with than the Bobcat dealer on pretty much every level.
Number one thing to buying anything HOW IS THE DEALER ARE PARTS EASY TO GET.
Maybe the newer machines are better, but Bobcat used to be one of the most difficult to work on IMO. Very tight/poor access and tons of stuff crammed in there with no rhyme or reason.
Might just be a local dealer thing but "in stock" to Bobcat sometimes means its in their warehouse and you'll see it in 3 weeks. Yeah we stopped dealing with them. Cats are ok. If you're in a cold climate make dang sure you have the CCV heaters installed and the door covered up as required or you will likely start having DPF issues. Case have come a long way in terms of their interior fit & finish the last couple years. Emission system seems to have less problems than the Cats as well.
My neighbor went to the farm show in Topeka and I showed him the new Deere. You can't see the top of the engine in it. All covered up, you take the side covers off to get into the engine area. With the loader boom lowered, its not fun to work on. We looked at the Case and you can still see the engine in them. I do all the work on my machines so I have the Case 400 series because I think they are the easy compaired to Bobcat, and Deere. I sisn't Cat was too bad by the looks of it.
I appreciate all the replies.. It seems like the new Bobcats the way they designed and placed there engines it makes it easier to replace most of the filters.. A few mentions an how you cannot see the engine is a real turnoff.. I plan on purchasing many used equipment. Will a dealer support your machine if you purchased it elsewhere? Seems like a lot of members rely a lot on the dealer.. I would hate to be stuck owning a used machine that has no support on potential major repairs
The dealer won’t mind if you buy a used machine from elsewhere. Conversely, they will appreciate your wallet and do their best to separate you, from your money. There are odd exceptions, such as grey market products. But, nothing you are likely to run across.
As you may know all the Cat mini excavators are made in China and shipped to the US.. If I was to import them use them, you think my local Cat dealer would reject maintenance on those?
That’s an interesting topic. There are threads on this forum about the trials and tribulations of importing machines from China. Very interesting challenges dealing with the brokers and sellers and transportation arrangements. Fun to read about. The entire process is entirely sketchy. I doubt you will have much success, once you arrive in Wujiang with your credit card.
I contacted them a month ago. They will sell it to you but they have no responsibility once it leaves there facility.. onus is on you to get it to your desired destination..
No not all Cat mini's are made in China. It's a common misconception.
My local Bobcat dealer charges 20% over list price on everything, parts wise. Fortunately, our territory lands within other dealer networks.
Actually your right. I know the 307.5 and 305.5 are..
Would you dare and try.. Fridayparts they are about 40% from dealer
Well I know I'm right since I own a 2018 305E and the plate says made in USA. 305.5E's are also made in the USA.
From a guy who has 2 grey market cat excavators and has great success using and repairing them. I would not want a dealer anywhere near them they take alot of time and effort to find parts and information that I would really rather not spend 2 dollars a minute for someone else to figure it out and then have to do it again next time around
That’s very interesting. Will it be Cat branded?
I got quoted $52500 for a brand new 307.5CR that's about 40% of retail.. I would assume most parts I can get in the US but worse case I will order it overseas
Yes it will be Cat. Identical of US version Just make sure your Mandarin is up to par or else they will hang up on you
Sounds like you should become a broker and start hustling yellow iron, instead of digging holes with a skid steer. Could you smuggle a new JDM Toyota HiLux 4-door 4x4 into Alaska? I’ll meet you at the Haines Dalton Cache POE with a bag of money.