I have just ordered a new JD328 skid steer. We will be working in some very wet and rocky situations sometimes. When it is wet I want to put OTT on the machine. I don't know anything about these so would appreciate some advice. So far I have been able to source McLaren and Grouser brand tracks in Australia plus a couple of others that are rubber tracks eg Solideal. I haven't got firm pricing on Grouser yet. Which of these two brands do you guys recommend? Thanks Firetrack
I use the Grouser on my 2011 JD 326D...........This product is approved for use by JD thats why I use them. Any problems down the road and I can say I am using approved JD OTT.........my 2 cents
pafarmer Thanks for the reply. As I have no experience with OTT can you answer a couple of queries for me. How long does it take to fit them? How fast can you travel with them on? Are they noisey? Re:JD skid steer I have ordered a 328D with a/c cab and EH performance package control, tilting pick up hitch, 4in1 bucket, 90" angle blade(tilt is on the pickup), 1600kg pallet forks, spreader bar. Unit comes standard with 14" wheels inc spare plus a set of 12" wheels to fit when using the OTT, 2 x emergency stops, fire extinguishers, am/fm radio, UHF radio, air seat. This all come to $100,000.00 Australian Dollars.I am sure you could get it much cheaper in USA. (This price includes 10% GST which I can claim back) How has your 326D performed and how many hours have you done. Are there any things I should look for in maintenance. I am wondering how long it will before the engine side panels start to rattle? Would you buy another JD skid steer. What control system did you get - EH performance package? JD was not a big player in Australia with skid steers with their previous models but the new D series is seeing them making inroads into the market. JD are very big in grader and loader sales especially in the non mining area where CAT have the market unchallenged. JD construction equipment is distributed by Hitachi Construction Equipment in Australia - not sure if that is a good thing for Deere
firetrack You said JD construction equipment is distributed by Hitachi Construction Equipment in Australia - not sure if that is a good thing for Deere.It is the other way around here in the USA .Hiatchi is distributed by Deere dealers.Weird right.
1. It takes about 2 hours the first time and it goes down from there. I can get them off and back on again in about 30 minutes. 2. No noisier than other means of gaining traction. The howl of the Skid Steer is louder My 326D is a fantastic machine. I have qutie bit of time on it and i really like the JD "D" series machine. Loads of power and everything works better than advertised in my opinion. Nothing more than commoon prevetitive maintenace is required. I follow the owners manuals to the letter and also the planner you get wiht the machine is your bible so to speak. I also own a 319D CTL brand new. I think there are tops in the skid steer market with he "D" series machines. I have run allot of different manufactureres machines and could have anyone i wanted and choose the Deere "D" series over all of them. The TAK makes a great CTL but the deere is right there with in my opinion only. I really like them. again fanastic machines. Good luck and let us know how you get along wiht your new JD..
I'm on my 2nd set of Grouser OTT. No exp. with the others, but I feel that they are tougher than the Loegering. These 2 (brands) seem to have been out there the longest and in my area, are the popular choices. The McLaren looks like a tough track as well. It seems that Logering is not available to you but if you are looking for additional flotation, they might have an edge on the others. You'll get faster with time re insalling your tracks with practice. I pull mine over with the strap/rope method and have found that it helps to position the tightener (ratchet strap) towards the inside bolt first and then reposition it to do the outside bolt. When they are dry, they are very noisey! Speed is no issue, I have a 2sp Gehl 7800 that will really make them squeak in high gear. Why are you running 2 diff sets of tire/wheel? My old Deere 260 as well as my Gehl both run 14" (X17.5) tires and Grouser does make that size, that's a lot of work to switch tires and tracks!
Loegering is a very good steel over the tire track system , your biggest problem will be flat tires with the tracks. If you can get a set of foam filled tires your ride will not be as good but no mater what your drive threw your never going to loose a days worth of work due to flats.
I originally could only find mclaren in Australia and they could only supply a bar type of track in 14" but could supply the plate type in 12". I didn't think the bar type would give me the floatation that i required. I'm not sure that the distributor for Grouser in Australia have tracks to suit 14" either but now that i have found them I'll find out. The deal is done so I will have two set of wheels. Pleased to get a good rap from pafarmer on the JD 'D' series skid steer. I'll post again when I get the machine and have done some time in the seat. Firetrack
I have the Mc Laren airless tires that use with the Loegren tracks. I have the wider pads on the tracks. They were called Trail Blazers but I think they have changed the name of them now. If your going to run OTT, you really need to get Nu Airs or foam fill your existing tires. The down time is a killer.
We have been running McLaren OTT Protrac Rubber for about 3 yrs now and have been very pleased -- great heavy duty track. I think their steel only versions are just as good, but we run often over concrete, so we got the rubber version to avoid damage. We've been able to do jobs that were simply impossible without them. And they are still in great shape after all the abuse. If you can get McLaren OTT at your place, I think you can't go wrong. I've also heard good things about Grouser, but we could not get them with rubber, plus McLaren were slightly better priced and offered more options to choose from. Not sure about Australia, but here McLaren is a main supplier of rubber track for Bobcat, so they are a reliable and well established company.