Cat says they only carry hiway yellow and new cat yellow. They also said that the old color was called merrygold yellow. I go to napa and they dont' show merrygold yellow for the OEM color. They have Hiway yellow, tractor yellow, new yellow and old yellow#1. Hiway yellow is the lightest of the four but doesn't look as light as what's on my dozer, i realize the original paint has fadaed. Which is correct for my 1965 d7e??????? thanks
Well found it on the amcoc web page. They are saying from 1931-1979 hiway yellow is the right color.
New Problem NAPA Had a HIWAY YELLOW paint chip that looked about right. But I went with the CAT dealer becasue they had it in spray cans. The paint lid matched the NAPA chip and the paint on my dozer. The paint that came out of the can did not match the lid. It was like 10 shades brighter. The cat dealer told me that was for the hiway dept. and that it was their color of yellow and wasn't suppossed to match the lid color. The Antique catapillar club page and napa's paint chip say that he doesnt' know what he is talking about. SOOOOO, I spent about an hour on the phone with catapillar customer service being transfered around to 20 diffrerent people who kept tranfering me back to the operator. No one seems to be in charge of paint or know what company mixes it for them. I do not know it the paint coming out of my can is a mismixed batch since it does not even closely reseble the lid color, or if the cat dealer guy knows what he is talking about. OORRRRR if that bright "dewalt" yellow is the proper color. It closely matches a dewalt tool and has really no mustard tint to it at all, even thoguht the spray can lid does. ANY THOUGHTS??????
I think the color change back in the late 70's had to do with taking the lead out of the paint. The new yellow looked like cream or almost beige compared to the old yellow, now the new looks more like the old. I've shot both Cat paints out of the gallon cans and can't really tell much difference. I vote for 1 yellow be it new or old that way there is no confusion
Is the paint on your cat original? Or was it re-painted? If it still the original paint and you want to find it at a Cat dealer, Can I suggest a different cat dealer. The reason I say this is I went to my local Cat dealer for a small $ 12.00 part and they acted they could care less and did not want to be bothered with helping me. After Several phone calls and 1 in person visit to the Cat dealer, my parts needs were still ignored.:Banghead I contacted a different dealer in Minnesota (since I’m new here not sure if the rules allow me give the name of the dealer). Well after speaking to 3 or 4 parts guys and them making several calls this new dealer found the part I was looking for and the problem solved in under 2 hours. Needless to say these folks bent over backwards to help me out. And when the time came to spend several thousand dollars for a cat undercarriage I’ll let you guess where I spent my money Look them up and give them a call maybe they can help you find the right paint. Jerry
Welcome to Heavy equipment Forums!!:drinkup If you've had a good experience with a dealer, by all means let us know!
Caterpillar Paint ? Yes, the paint colors sure vary. Even by the lot, mistakes occur on the labeling. I repainted an old 1951 Cat D4,with Napa Marigold, forgot the number. Looked beautiful, till the last batch, come across a mislabeled batch. Turned out to be the Mustard New Yellow. Also found out Marigold was a John Deere color paint. LOL Krylon Farm and Implement "1805 New Caterpillar Yellow " looks good. I see lot of people that repaint, also install the new decals and accent stripes and colors. Looks different but then you know, it is a rehab.
Catmantwo Your post is typical of what I have heard. The quality of Cat dealers varies greatly from one to another. I am happy to be in the territory of one of the best, and they have many top service and sales awards, which I wondered if they meant anything, but hearing many horror stories of a lack of service at other dealers, and the good service I get from them, I can see why they are top flight. Johnson Machinery here in Southern California, in Riverside is very helpful whether you are a large or small customer. Back to the paint, its tough to match anything up after it has weathered for even a few years, much less a lot of years.
Are you sure someone didn't put the wrong lid back on the can of paint you purchased , I have seen that happen many times ,
Generally speaking, any spot-painting of Cat equipment with the "new Cat Yellow," will be indistinguishable within a couple of months if the machine is left out in the sun and weather. (that's if the unit was originally painted with the new yellow) I've used Cat yellow by the barrel full in both regular and aerosol applications for over forty years. So far as I'm aware, there have only been two Cat yellow's, the original, and the "new." I've never heard of a marigold color. Hi-way yellow is something entirely different too, it does not match any Cat yellow color. The new (it's over 15 or more years old now) Cat yellow is water-based paint, the old yellow was not. Deere yellow will not match, nor will International or Allis Chalmers and so on.
marigold yellow is the original designitation for the old cat yellow. New cat yellow started in early 70's
1931 hiway yellow, 1979 cat yellow https://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/history/1930.html https://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/history/1970.html
Call Peterson Caterpillar parts department in San Leandro CA and ask them for the CAT part number (or paint formula) for the replica Siamese D8 they built then source the paint locally.
Thank you for the information, I had the same question. Great responses. Fat Dan
True Cat Highway Yellow in any kind of a spray can has been out of stock at Caterpillar for a number of years. There is a fellow on the ACMOC site that had spray cans of Cat Highway Yellow custom made. He sold out very quickly and was getting more made. If you search the posts on the BB you may find it or start a post asking about it. Someone there will know.