Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which tread pattern for Bobcat t650?

asmith90 ยท 2025-02-10 20:14

Which tread pattern do you recommend? I'm in Illinois and mainly use my T650 around the farm. Terrain is dirt/mud/grass and I use it to clear snow. I was looking at these two options. Any thoughts on which one is best? T650 Zig Zag Tread Pattern T650 Multi Bar

Replies8
  1. #1CM19952025-02-10 20:41

    Welcome to the Forums As90! Glad to have you. Performance on snow withstanding, neither of those. The Block design works better for mud and dirt since it's closer to the design of a dozer grouser IMO. Regardless the design you choose be sure and change the sprocket segments when you swap tracks. If you don't swap the sprockets it will accelerate the wear on the new tracks leading to premature failure. Learned that little nugget of knowledge the hard way. BTW moved this over to Compact Trackloaders.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2025-02-10 20:58

    My pick for snow would be the zig zag.

  3. #3Mark132025-02-10 22:32

    For what you're doing and snow, zig zag will be the best. The multi bar would be my second choice. C pattern and block tracks would be 3rd and 4th pick.

  4. #4KSSS2025-02-10 23:02

    Well I have had Zig Zag and they are Ok in snow, work well in getting traction in dirt and mud. When my last set wore out, I bought a set of multi bar. I think these are better in snow and ice. They have more cutting edges than does the ZZ track. This creates creates a better bite. Especially when the ZZ tracks start getting some wear. The multi bar is great in dirt. I think the lug design of the ZZ track is better in mud than the multi bar.

  5. #5asmith902025-02-12 17:20

    Thanks everyone! Seems like zig zag is the consensus. I'll give em a shot

  6. #6davo7272025-02-15 00:17

    I bought my tracks from Mcclaren, free freight to a terminal and sprockets from the bobcat dealer because I heard the aftermarket sprockets are made of sub standard soft steel.

  7. #7CM19952025-02-15 10:13

    McClaren makes a good product. Had the set of solid air cushion tires on an 863 years ago. Good folks to deal with at the time as well.

  8. #8Shimmy12025-02-15 12:04

    Be aware, the zig zag tracks act like a cultivator when you're running around in the dirt, and tear grass completely to pieces no matter how careful you are when turning. Had to use a buddy's 740 this summer when we lost a final on the 770. He runs zig zag. They do work amazingly well in snow, but they are atrocious if you're trying to keep a site neat and tidy.