I really like my '05 Case backhoe, but the paint job is abysmal. I just had the top panels on the hood repainted. The guy who did the work for me said the paint came off real easy and that the metal was rusting under the paint. The side panels have paint flaking off in small sheets. Paint on the edges comes off in little strips. Underneath these areas, there appears to be NO PRIMER. The paint just peels right off . Under the peeling areas is just rusty metal. I b*tched to Case directly and got no help. My York rake is the same way, paint is gone after 2-3 years. Most of my friends that own equipment of all brands face similar problems. It amazes me that every used equipment dealer I visit has equipment with lousy paint jobs, badly faded in 2-3 years, bubbled paint, peeling paint. I passed up on JD310G because the paint was almost gone. So my question is why is a 70-100K piece of equipment not painted as well as a 20K car? Don't they deserve an automotive grade paint job for that kind of money?
Duke, you are not alone! My 580M that has not spent one night outside since delivery has problems with the gray color. As I read about how good powder paint is I laugh and think who are you fooling. Everything I have that has a powder coat finish that is not in my house has bubbled or peeling paint down to the substrate. This includes my 32' gooseneck that has paint peeling in pieces the size of a dollar bill. IMO nothing beats blasting with abrasive, a good coat of epoxy primer followed by Imron. Buuuuut this is an expensive three step process that takes time. The manufacturers want a single step quick process. This is also complicated by Govt. VOC guidelines that leave us with crap in the field. But who am I just being a consumer with manufacturing knowledge. All we can do is demand better. After all, the science of painting is nothing new.
Our L is rusting on the hood, otherwise the paint is decent.
yeah, don't even mention my trailer..... What's weird is the hood seems to be the worst part. The rest of the machine is better, but still pathetic compared to an automobile.
paint I have to agree. The panel work paint on my duck is pretty good but the paint on the ram cylinders and several other places is nothing short of disgusting and its only just 1yr old. I notice the 1505M which has arrived in the last couple of months has grey ram cylinders and I wonder if the heat in the cylinders has caused paint complaints. It seems to have fractured, but not actually peeled.
I agree the paint is like crap on my 580L rusting and peeling around the cab hood like **** from smakk what looks like rusk pockets forming.
I dont think anything was as bad as the 416B as far as rust. 7 years 4100hours later and the Case still has very little rust. The cab is fine. The top of the hood is rough and the decals are all pealing off.
I think Legdoc hit on it, what we are dealing with isn't paint, it's powder coating. A fine mist of dry powder is applied by using electric charges to attract the powder to the panels and the panel is then baked in an oven where the powder melts and cures. It's supposed to be more durable than paint and perhaps it is to abrasion, but I've found once the powder coat surface is compromised, the coating is much more susceptible to rust than paint ever was. The coating comes off in sheets as described. Once again the EPA has interfered with our lives, the restrictions in using paints are so great that many manufacturers have resorted to the use of powder coating.
Cars & trucks aren't powder coated. Why can cars & trucks be painted so well, yet equipment cannot? If you can paint a $20,000 Hyundai with an excellent paint job, then why not a 100K piece of equipment? EPA should have nothing to do with it. I mean it ain't like these clowns aren't bending us over on the purchase price. I say screw the "powder coating" and put a decent paint job on them. Another thing: My dumptruck's dump dody is powder coated and has held up much better than my equipmen't powder coating. It's only a $4,000 dump box. :beatsme You're right about the 416B's. They were horrible paint jobs.
From some of the factorys that i have been to there metal is stored outside and has a coat of rust on it before it is even taking inside to build the machine. They just don't get it cleaned good enough to start with,before going to the paint booth.Plus any oil from building need cleaned before painting over which in turn will make them peel. I notice that the newer machines paints fade fast also.Some that is hardly a year old likes 5 years old,before the first year is over. Some of my older dozers has better paint job then the ones just going on a year old.:beatsme:usa
Aside from the EPA regulations it is just poor finishing techniques. The manufacturers have no reason to do a better job. They do not have enough competition to force them to do better. And customers are used to getting raped on their equipment purchase and their parts needs. Remember how bad autos used to rust? Remember 12 month, 12,000 mile warranties on autos? This all changed in the 70's when a bankrupt company called Chrysler hired a guy named Lee Iaccoca. Lee set out to bring them back by offering new models with a 5/50 bumper to bumper warranty. Ford and GM had to respond by updating their warranty policies. This included paint jobs. The auto finishes of today are applied in $100,000,000.00 automated paint lines that paints a car in 15 min. Imagine how bad the auto dealers would bend you over on parts if they did not have pricing pressure from NAPA on O'Reilly. The heavy equipment manufacturers hose everytime we go to their dealer for parts, service or a new machine. They do it because they can. Just my openion.
I remember the Fords rusting out back in the 70's, that must of hurt business for a long time. My girlfriend back then, in the good old days , had a Torino with no floor in the trunk. The doors were completely gone from the mid point down and I had to replace the trunk lid too. I also remember in the past that powder paint requires a thorough degreasing procedure. Phil
Phil, you bring back memories of back in 1976 at my first "flunkie" job taking out groceries at a supermarket. There were many times I would open the back door of a car to put the groceries in to discover no floor pan. There was a nice view of the parking lot though.
Yes it is very upsetting to see your equipment reust before your eyes. I would be willing to pay more to have a good durable paint applied by the mfg. when new. Its a real pain, expensive and time consueming to repaint a piece of equpt. Why cant they clean the metal propely, use a good primer, and a good epoxy or good grade of paint. I have bought cheap paint at TSC and it even holds up longer than the oem paint job. And if it is the EPA's idea to make them paint equipt. the way they do then that shows how stupid they are because equipt. sets out side or is working out side most of itys life , then it starts peeling, flaking then you have to repaint it again. What about all the by products, flaked paint, dust, etc. falling off, and dust when repainting, causing more pollotion than if done right the first time. I've seen the inside of cabs on backhoes rusted clear through in a few years. This makes the value of the equipt. deteroiate very fast.
When I first went looking for a backhoe, I noticed virtually every Case Super L in the northeast had rusted doors. New doors were over $1,500 each. What a racket! I looked at a CAT 416B in New Jersey, when I climbed in the cab, my foot went through the floor! I looked at a 2 yr old JD 310SG and the back boom had already been repainted. The EPA is a bunch of retards that all need "two in the hat" if you know what I mean.
As I said we are already paying astronomical prices for equipment. As comsumers a strong message needs to be sent to the manufacturers that if we are going to be bent over we should get quality. For those fortunate enough to go to Conexpo voice these concerns to the reps and demand better for the price we are paying now!
It doesn't seem like competition, or lack thereof, is the problem. There's a lot of companies competing to build equipment. If one clearly states they're painting their equipment in car-like conditions, it would get my attention. I could paint equipment better with primer & spray cans than these clowns do at their factories.
Is it possible they are using cheap spray cans from China? We know they put lead in the paint used for toys!
Three rules for lasting paint-jobs. 1...Preparation 2...Preparation 3...Preparation............C ya.........Ray
Have you seen The Three Stooges painting?
equipment painting I agree with all the quotes, you spend big bucks and the equipment looks like crap in a few years. This is what I started doing, I buy good automotive, 2 part paint, and apply 2 coats of clear coat. Now this is after the machine, has been made ready to paint, what ever it takes, sandblasting, sanding, elbow grease, priming, etc. I am lucky to have a good paint and body man working for me, he operates equipment during the week and on the weekends, I hire him to keep the equipment painted. As everyone knows, when you show up at a job site with good looking equipment, it does make a difference. My paint shop, couldnt get the correct color for my Cat 320, so I went to Cat and bought a qt. of the correct paint (cost like $20) and had them match it. I think it costs about $500 for all the paint and supplies, to paint the 320. Remember, I said I bought good paint, not that equipment enamel, you can buy for $60 a gallon and it fades in 6 months, Yep I did it too. Had a local sign man, come take pictures of the decals and he made them, about 1/3 cheaper than you can buy from Cat and I believe they are better. Just my 2 cents worth
Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the machine could be purchased with a paint job at least on par with a cheap automobile? These machines are painted no better than a wheelbarrow.
paint That would take away the bonuses for the big wheels
i have a friend that works for a local sand and gravel producer, they run all volvo machines. seems to me that even the older loaders and haul trucks still have decent paint be it a bit fadded in all. sun takes a terrible toll on paint especially on the new fiberglass hoods and fenders manufacters are using. it seems to crack and peel when applied to fiberglass faster than steel.
they figure by using cheap paint when they make the equipment, it will help keep paint companies and painters employed out in the world,
The guy who just painted my hood only paints machinery & construction equipment. He said he's never been slow on business. He told me most equipment isn't primed or cleaned properly so they just paint right over the rust haze. Nice. :cool2
probably right as with what was said above prep,prep,prep.
Paint coating I wonder if RINOH spray bed liner for trucks would be usefull for undecarriage and areas where potential rust would occur? Also wondering if electrostatic paint would be more benifical since the carbon content used in the metal would determine the amount applied and the charge (KV). I have noticed when i had looked at a couple of Case units that the paint was bubbling and when I pulled a piece of the paint I did not see any primer? It would be nice if someone would be close to a CASE plant and take a visit on the floor to see the process, I do have to agree that industrial equipment should have a good paint job or at least undercoat the areas where you would accumalate mud or standing water. I have also noticed there are no "Weep Holes" which I would expect with cab units or enclosed. To me it would make sense to have these to remove excess water or just able to clean out the cab without water sitting on the bottom frame. My two cents.. NOB
Maco Painting I wonder what MACO would charge for a paint job...LOL
I think the Rhino spray lineing would work ok. I have a septic pumper truck and I see alot of them have it sprayed about a foot or two up the side of the tank, where the hoses and shovels bang against the sides and it seems to hold up real good. I talked to one co. and they said they have even flushed out the inside, cleaned it and let it dry and a man would crawl inside and spray it and it would add years to the life. Poop is pretty coorosive. I painted the outside of my tank with a epoxy paint and it has held up real good. If construction eqpt. is not painted right at the factory, its hard to repaint in later because you cannot get to all the hidden places. Like you said, it would be intersting to have a Case or other mfg. respond to this issue. You spend $50, to a $100 thousand for a piece of equipt and they put a wheel borrow paint job on it. I know the EPA (Everyones Pain in the A') doesnt like to hear it, but I save some of my used motor oil and I have a sprayer and on a warm summer day I will spray places that cant be seen. The crossmembers and underneath rails on my trailers are real prone to rusting. I spray them too and it seems to really help it. You can purchase undercoating and with a special spray gun do this also. But all this is a mess, time consumeing and wouldnt add that much to the cost if done right when new and being assembled at the factory. Like some one told me, it would be nice if they added a 50 cent spring loaded clip inside the cab, to attach notes to, but by the time all the EPA, govt, certification, lawyers, and other freeloaders getting their hands in it, it would cost $500.
I did complain to Case, but they refused to help me. They had a "field rep" call me. He said anything beyond the 3yr/3000 hr powertrain warranty is covered by the 1yr 1000 hr warranty. Since I'm past the 1000 hr mark and the machine is 3 yrs old, they wouldn't help. Dealer told me to pound sand, too. Thing that hurts is I really like the machine.
Typical mfg. answer. I doubt they would really do much even if it was under warranty. They certinally are not going to give you a new machine. And you know they are not goeing to paint it and do it right. Maybe a gift certificate at best.
Blame it on acid rain rofessor
No: Its global warming.
Duke I guess you have to look at it like this you said you got a good deal in the machine so you can aford to have the paint done and done right.I know it stinks to have to put it out but think of it like this you could of paid more and still have to do it or got the machine within the warranty period and they would not do a good job and you would be at sq one again . I had this same problem with GM on a van it was peeling and being at cheap as they are didn't want to do the job right the first time had it done a second time it came out better but they still would not pay to have molding and other trim taken off when they sandblased and redone. had to fight and fight to get them to do it.