Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why does cat not make the 943 anymore

Stick Pro ยท 2008-11-12 21:59

We own a 943 and was currious why cat quit building them my dealer told me that the 939 took it place but that thing does not have a chance aginst the 43. The my 935c will almost out preform the 939. I was currious if anyone out there has any input on the reason they stoped the production i would appreciate it.

Replies23
  1. #1biggixxerjim2008-11-12 22:14

    I think that sales just wernt what they were for the 53 and up. It was probably more cost effective to retrofit a D4 with a bucket.

  2. #2Deas Plant2008-11-13 03:22

    No More 943??????????? Hi, Stick Pro. The 'mumble' that I heard was that it was costing Cat almost as much to build a 943 as a 953 and the sales just weren't happening, at least within the U.S., so it got the chop. It's a long, LONG way from a 939 to a 953 and the 939 is a bit of poor country cousin by comparison with the old 943's. Sad.

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-11-13 07:21

    Sometimes the flame can feed the fire in a situation like this. Since the numbers are not there in sales, the machines cost more to produce, and if they cost as much as a 953, why not just buy a 953? Now if they were selling as many 943's as 953's, the cost for a 943 might adjust.

  4. #4Deas Plant2008-11-13 07:45

    '43 or '53?????????????????? Hi, Stumpjumper 83. Personally, I'd far rather have a 953B anyway. They're a way better machine. BUT, I'd certainly take a 943 over a 939 if that was the choice.

  5. #5stumpjumper832008-11-13 07:57

    Oops, I should have made myself clear on the topic of why cat might have decided to drop the 943.

  6. #6Komatsu 1502008-11-13 08:10

    We love our 943 at 16000 hours and counting. I was told the price for a 943 was too close to the price of a 953 to sell. For tight work around homes, rough grading and backfill, I think the 943 is better suited. Smaller, more nimble less weight close to foundations, etc. and very low fuel use compared to a 953. We have dug quite a few basements with ours, although not first choice it did well enough. Even on a long day digging it never used even thirty gallons of fuel. The 939 is not in the same class at all.

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-11-13 14:28

    What's inna name? Hi, Komatsu 150. With a name like yours, how come you are extolling the virtues of a Caterpillar product, specifically a 943???????????? LOL.

  8. #8biggixxerjim2008-11-13 15:00

    Deas, looks like we got aanother Dozerboy 575 reincarnation hahahah. Just kidding Komie

  9. #9Deas Plant2008-11-13 17:07

    Dozer 575 incarnation Hi, Biggixxerjim. If he is, he would be an unusual form of the critter. I can't honestly remember ever hearing the 'original' saying anything good about any Cat except the D8H-K. Can you?

  10. #10biggixxerjim2008-11-13 19:00

    good point. guess they sold the most iron because everyone is stupid??

  11. #11Stick Pro2008-11-13 21:03

    we use our 43 for diging pools mostly but it also does any other job we need it for a 53 is to big to get into some of the backyards that out 43 would bearly fit in i have seen some specs on the deer 605 that is close to the 43does anyone have any experience with deer crawler loaders

  12. #12Deas Plant2008-11-14 01:53

    Lotta stoopidd peepul ow thair. Hi, Biggixxerjim. Sure must be a lotta stoopidd peepul owt thair and heaps in previous generations too, 'cos they bin buying ther 'rubbish' for a while now. Hi, Stick Pro. I can remember only one job where I had a 953 and wished for a 943. But then maybe I'm a bit abnormal. I've even worked a Cat D5B wide gauge on house pads where the boss said it needed a 943 or 953 with a 4-in-1 bucket. On one house pad, I cut 2 water tank pads alongside the house pad, both 16 feet square, the first one 3 feet lower than the main house pad and the second 2 feet lower again. Vertical walls on 3 sides of each tank pad and the floors cut to +/- about 3/4". Good fun - makes you think.

  13. #13Komatsu 1502008-11-14 07:59

    You are a funny bunch of guys. To be serious, I would have liked to buy Cat. At the time the only machine Cat had below by max weight was a rebadged machine built by Mitsubishi (?? don't remember). It seamed like an older generation machine, it had a Cat engine but it was much louder and the hydraulics were slower. It even had a mechanical swing lock. Max bucket was 1/4 cubic yard smaller than the 150 and it was $10,000.00 more for a pretenda-Cat. Komatsu shot me a super deal and financed it at 2.7% back when interest was around 8%. That's the story.

  14. #14Deas Plant2008-11-14 08:45

    We'll forgive you. Hi, Komatsu 150. O.K. We'll forgive you - - - - - - - - THIS time. DON'T let it happen again, you hear. LOL.

  15. #15Tigerotor77W2008-11-15 22:07

    I'm actually curious how the Deere 605C is doing... any Deere guys chime in?

  16. #16divedigger2008-11-30 21:15

    last 943 I have one of the last years of the 943 which was discontinued in 1992. Would anyone know or how to find out the seriel # on the last 943 made? Mine is a 19z01902 ordered after the first of the year and arrived about June. At that time I got 1 of the last 2 my dealer got. Just curious to find out. Thanks Steve

  17. #1766ken2008-12-02 08:05

    I checked our territory machine population and find 19Z1905 as the highest serial # in our territory. I don't have access to last serial # made.

  18. #18Deas Plant2008-12-02 08:10

    19Z 943's Hi, Divedigger. Where I play, we have a couple of 19Z 943's. I think one of them is 1311 but will check - - - if these old memory cells can hold the thought that long. After all, there is a 'sleep' 'tween now and then. LOL.

  19. #19WhyWhyZed2008-12-06 14:42

    The HPCU (Hydrostatic Power Control Unit) was costing Caterpillar more to build and warranty than the price of the entire 943 machine.

  20. #20special tool2008-12-06 17:53

    Please site the official source of this information.

  21. #21Louis 955 jr2009-11-16 10:59

    I think they shoulda keep them in production. I am currently using one to dig a pond wit several other equipment and I love it. It's a good support machine and I would love to see the "c" model of the 943.

  22. #22lgammon2009-11-19 03:49

    we have one i think it is an 80, i think that was the first year. it is still doin great, it is on its 3 engine a and around 20,000 hours on it

  23. #23them16772009-12-08 14:28

    Didn't deere cancel the contract with Liebherr to stop building it for them? I think Liebherr is selling it as their 614.