Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will TD8c roll to load if no power

Blaw1978 · 2023-03-15 20:03

Hello , I’m very new to the dozer world and green as well . I have purchased a Td8c that has developed a huge leak just under the battery compartment area . It’s in a location that seems to require a few hours to possible get to the culprit . My question is , will the dozer free roll to load on a trailer so as to get it closer to my shop ? It was pulling under its own power then this massive leak started and it lost all power . Blade functions still .you can see in the picture the fluid is a solid stream from the left corner compartment and runs down onto the left side tracks . Thanks for any input .

Replies9
  1. #1oarwhat2023-03-16 09:12

    Yes it will roll freely.

  2. #2Blaw19782023-03-17 08:04

    Thank you very much for your reply ! That is a relief, now to see if I can improvise a way to load it with a winch and possible some snatch blocks . Fingers crossed !!

  3. #3oarwhat2023-03-18 09:08

    Be careful it doesn't roll away on you

  4. #4Blaw19782023-03-18 09:11

    That is definitely my big concern . If my winch setup is successful in pulling it , I was thinking of definitely chasing it up with some blocking of some sort . We have a telehandler on site that can aid in pushing but I only have a 12,500 winch but hoping with a couple snatch blocks I can increase the pull . Any suggestions or a don’t do that is definitely appreciated. I’m in uncharted waters .

  5. #51693TA2023-03-18 09:16

    Take seriously what Oarwhat just said. Case in point; I was winching a dead TD-9 up onto my gooseneck trailer and as I was pulling the tractor more forward to place more load onto the truck, the tractor started to freewheel towards the neck risers up front as the deck angle changed to a slight downward angle from the weight shift. I seen this and quit pulling immediately, (hydraulic driven winch) and installed a chain from the push arm to trailer rub rail anchor, and brought everything up in tension. 32' of flat trailer deck is not that far but it is surprising how fast a tractor can accelerate as the incline angle increases, and how easy they can roll. No damage in this instance at all but a lesson learned which I hope to impart.

  6. #6oarwhat2023-03-18 09:16

    I think it will roll easier than you think. See how effective the brakes are without the engine running. I'd bet the telehandler can push it on. Let us know how you make out.

  7. #7Blaw19782023-03-18 09:24

    Thanks so much for the input !! I’ll definitely be back with the results . Super excited to get this old girl home and give it some attention . Engine sounds amazing and smooth . Definitely gonna do some undercarriage replacements. So I’ll be back with plenty more questions or suggestions in the future .

  8. #81693TA2023-03-18 09:45

    If that engine is turbocharged don't forget to duct tape the exhaust pipe closed before transport. You don't want the turbocharger spinning without an oil supply feeding it.

  9. #9Blaw19782023-04-03 10:20

    Update , We had success using a 12k lb winch and a couple snatch blocks to get it up on the gooseneck . That part went much easier than expected !! As far as unloading once we got home … we’ll that was a bit nerve racking , but with the aid of releasing the winch slowly I’m glad to say it’s home and in one piece . Now to tear into it and find the leaking culprit .