Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winter fronts for a D6, any of you done your own?

EZ TRBO · 2008-09-24 21:39

Of the two dozers we have at work TD-15C dresser and the D6H only one is set up good for winter use. Way back when, dad and my uncle took both of our 15's and had side boards made and put some canvas on the side shields to aid the fans blowing warm air back toward the operator. I'm looking at effecitive ways(better than how CAT has em) to use the same idea as on the 15's and use it on the 6H. I would like to put canvas on the inside of the doors and small side boards on the openings but need to keep the doors slightly open but not totally fixed in place in order to access the engine. I have some ideas in mind but am wondering who else has done somthing that works quite well. Thanks Trbo

Replies22
  1. #1RollOver Pete2008-09-24 22:02

    Can you reverse the fan, seal up the engine compartment then make an opening somehow down low in the cab to allow warm engine air to be forced into the cab? When it warms up, just seal up the hole.

  2. #2EZ TRBO2008-09-24 22:17

    You are saying like below the dash or in the floor pannel? On the 15's we were able to cut a slot on the side shield because of how it stuck out and just put canvas on the inside of the shield. I will look into that, need it too look good too, can't and WON'T just cobble it. LOL and I figured you would come up with somthing like, uh close the windows and turn the heat nob to the red!!(just fooling with ya). Thanks Trbo

  3. #3RollOver Pete2008-09-24 22:27

    Sometimes less is more. If there's a way to get engine heat into the cab by simply cutting a small hole/vent while still keeping the doors shut, thats a good thing. Better if it doesn't cost much. Down the road, you just weld, rivet, screw, glue or tape the vent shut when temps warm back up.

  4. #4EZ TRBO2008-09-24 22:39

    Thats what I'm thinking, rivet some canvas to the inside of the doors, and find a place to "hole out" in the floor. Most of the time if both dozers are there I WILL be on the 15, the few guys that run em don't like the OLD dozer, but me I'd rather run it. See what happens, heck last winter it snowed too dam much to even work til spring. Trbo

  5. #5stumpjumper832008-09-24 23:02

    Wouldn't it be easier to just add a 12v heater to the inside of the cab? Kinda like one of these. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12dihocehe.html

  6. #6Sparffo2008-09-24 23:59

    not soo cool If i were you and would work with the machine for more that 2h/day, then i would go for this option! I can tell you that it sucks really badly if or when you have to breath exhaust fumes, oil fumes etc for all day long. on a old machine it is hard to get rid of all leaks, even leaking hydraulic oil start smelling when things heat up. adding a heater is really easy, and then you can putt a ball valve on the hose to adjust the heat with! on my D6 i have the heater up on the roof, it takes in cold air and warms it up (prevents windovs from fogging). if it's really cold it still can be a good idea to turn the fan, it helps to keep the fuel filters from freezing. if you don't know where to take out the heater water, ask our CAT dealer/service, they can show you:usa at the moment we are having about 4 degrees celsius here(40 fahrenheit), normaly i stop operating these machines at -15¤c/5¤f.

  7. #7surfer-joe2008-09-25 00:32

    Yep, go with the heater option instead of the winter front. Sparffo's right. Those damned winter fronts channel all the dirt, soot, exhaust fumes, and any aroma of leaking coolant or oil right back in your face. 30 years ago they were a great idea cause we didn't have anything better that would stand up to the abuse of dozer work. But winter fronts need constant adjustments and repair because they NEVER stay where you really need them. The heaters built today are much sturdier and easier to install. Only way to go in my opinion.

  8. #8EZ TRBO2008-09-25 06:18

    First off, it does'nt have any windows its an open cab, ROPS only. Second I KNOW the bosses won't go for spending the money on a heating system. I don't have a problem on our 15 with the dust and such. What I am looking for is of anyone that HAS made their winter fronts for their D6's and what they look like. I have my own ideas just looking to see if anyone else has done anything close. The heater would be a nice option however I know it won't fly. But thanks anyways. Trbo

  9. #9special tool2008-09-25 07:12

    Dude...really?? They won't spend a few bucks on a little eater? Just talk increased productivity, dude.

  10. #10Komatsu 1502008-09-25 07:29

    The reversible fans really work. We had a machine with an opening under the dash. Any time it got over 30 or so I would have to switch the fan as the old man's feet started to cook. The fan we had could be switched in less than five minutes by rotating each blade. Still have the fan. The machine is long gone.

  11. #11Construct'O2008-09-25 21:40

    Check out Ebay for a bargain heater.I got 2 for less then a 100 dollars for the two and they was really heavy duty.Water operatered,copper coils ,and three-speed fan.They was a great deal.Guy tried to back out ,but told him i would give him negative feed back. He shipped shortly after that!!!!!!! I use to just put cardboard on the inside of the engine closers and use the famous baling wire .Turned the fan and take the floor panel out,but that was for my D6C. I know the floor will come out on my D6H(cab),not sure on a ROPS,i would think it work.If it would take it off and cut out a removable panel.When panel is off might want it screened in.It will let in more noise also tho . Then there is plywood and pleixglass for the rest of the cab.If the wind is blowing it needs side panels. They also made a heathouser that fits over the radiator with the fan blowing out and has a tube attached to it and it runs back to the seat across the hood and blows the heat right in your lap. Never liked using the canvas on the engine sides because it was hard to keep them tight and would blow the sides out like a big balloon then made it hard to see off the sides,especially when you was trying to clear trees.Always cacthing the canvas and tried to tear it off. Colder weather will be here sooner then you thing.Where has the summer gone.Good luck:usa

  12. #12surfer-joe2008-09-25 22:56

    OK, so the outfits operating on the cheap. You can buy factory made winter fronts especially made for your application. Not so many manufacturers these days as there used to be. However, you can also use some canvas and tie wire to make your own. I've seen some that were just a wrap or two of canvas about 3' wide all the way around the tractor with a reversed fan. Not a great setup, but it does sorta concentrate some engine heat around the operator. You can take extra pieces and make like a lap robe around your legs and lower body. It's crude, but as I say, it works. Some fellas take more time and finesse a nicer getup with several individual pieces of canvas or burlap that allows easier access to the seat area and can also be adjusted to regulate the air flow and temperature a bit. You can also have an awning maker build a winter front for you that may look better and actually work better. A bit of warning here; all that dirty air coming at you can throw particles of sand and other debris in your face, especially your eyes. Be careful for that

  13. #13EZ TRBO2008-09-25 23:30

    I think some are missing the point, not to be rude, but I have made alot of winter fronts on reversable fan machines in the years, just not on a D6H. I think I have it figured out how I will do it. Thanks for the advice and helpful hints. oh, and we do not operate cheap, but I don't need a heater cause the fans work fine for me, so to save some money its all good. Thanks Trbo

  14. #14hardtail2008-09-26 02:48

    Sounds like a question geared for none other than KOO course he thinks 68F is in the tropics ...........

  15. #15EZ TRBO2008-09-26 06:10

    LOL I was thinking he is the KING and should be the KING of making winter fronts I'm sure(but a CAT D6H would be too modern for him). Trbo

  16. #16stumpjumper832008-09-26 06:29

    I've seen guys already take clear plastic wrap, the wide stuff used for shipping and close three sides in with that stuff for the winter. But hey I feel ur pain, open cab equipment below 30 degrees is no fun, though I think vibratory rollers are the worst. I think the vibration help shake the cold into you.

  17. #17Sparffo2008-09-26 14:29

    I think open cab is better when cold, because in closed cabs the windows freeze if the heater doesn't work one thing i really hate to do when it's cold is diamond drilling & cutting... it really sucks when the water freezes in the machine, on the concrete and the pants go to ice... I thing DD trans tractor are better suited for the cold climate, all the levers and pedals you have to push and pull, just to make a direction change keeps you really warm

  18. #18hardtail2008-09-26 16:18

    I thought when he had his day job he may have been exposed to the 21st century

  19. #19EZ TRBO2008-09-26 20:52

    well you may have a point there. Trbo

  20. #20roddyo2008-10-12 18:33

    PVC Winter Kit A friend of mine made a winter kit last year out of PVC pipe. It huge down in front of the radiator and had 2 90's with a tube that run down the length of the hood. It looked like sxxt but he was happy. Very few days are below 20 degrees here also.

  21. #21Turbo218352008-10-12 20:25

    One I have seen in use. 2x4s used to make a box that covers approx 80% of the radiator. I piece of plywood over the 2x4s. A round hole cut for a length of ADS 6 inch drain pipe. Held onto the radiator screen with a bolt that you would use to hold up a picture on the wall. Seemed to be keeping the operator nice and toasty

  22. #22roddyo2008-10-12 20:55

    We are thinking along the same lines I think my friend used two pieces of 4 inch. it looked like a double barrel shotgun was pointed at him. I don't remember him building a box though. He just wired the pipe to the grill and let it blow up the pipe. You got a better idea with the box, I think he was so cold he was happy to just be getting anything.