Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winter Project 955k

AJsOffroad ยท 2009-02-10 18:46

Starting another winter project. It is our 955k. Enjoy.:usa

Replies13
  1. #1Red Bank2009-02-10 20:23

    What do you plan on doing to it this winter?

  2. #2AJsOffroad2009-02-11 17:45

    Just sandblasting and paint. I start blasting tomorrow and hopefully have it in primer on Friday.

  3. #3Red Bank2009-02-11 22:26

    Keep posting pictures, I need to do my 955K, but I think it will be a while before I can.

  4. #4AJsOffroad2009-02-16 17:43

    1st pic: Finished sandblasting Friday afternoon and put her primer after that. 2nd pic: Today I painted. What do you guys think of the color? Does it look to yellow? Maybe it just needs to go outside?:usa

  5. #5D5G2009-02-16 18:45

    looks great! keep the pics commin...

  6. #6Red Bank2009-02-16 20:32

    It really looks good. I wished my front grille was as straight as yours:notworthy. Your machine definitely looks like it has been taken care of and deserves to be painted. Are you going to replace the decals too?

  7. #7nedly052009-02-17 05:27

    AJ, very cool! now when you sand blasted do you tape off all of the pivot points to keep the sand out of the grease? do you cover the motor? can you describe the process for getting ready to blast, I want to do some of our equipment and dont know the first thing about it and I dont want to mess anything up. First thing I want to do is the trailer! Very nice job!!!!!:thumbsup

  8. #8greatdane2009-02-17 06:12

    Great job. Looks very nice.

  9. #9Buckethead2009-02-17 10:08

    Old track loaders like 955s and 977s are definitely some of the machines that made me want to be an operator.

  10. #10AJsOffroad2009-02-17 18:28

    I tape anything I don't want blasted, ie hydraulic rods, serial # plates, etc, with duct tape and a couple layers of it. The pivot points are just blasted and then we grease them after we paint and its ready to go out the door. The motor we don't cover but we like to put cardboard in front of the radiator for blasting and paint. Trailers we take all the wheels off. 1st pic is painted with New Holland yellow. 2nd pic is painted with old Caterpillar yellow. I will also get pictures of it outside.

  11. #11td25c2009-02-21 09:38

    Look's great,what type of paint do you use?

  12. #12AJsOffroad2009-02-25 19:06

    On the 955k we used Rustoleum equipment paint and the TD7E we used Valspar equipment paint. On our lowboy trailer we used Dupont Imron paint and primer, BIG Bucks for that stuff!!

  13. #13surfer-joe2009-02-26 00:16

    Could you not have used Cat water-based paint of the proper color? It's not too expensive, honest. Anyway, the Cat will look better after you ad the proper decals.