Good morning guys, I finally broke down and decided to repack my own hydraulic cylinders rather than keep paying a shop to do it. I knew it wouldn't be easy but it has been quite an experience. I had two cylinders leaking so I tackled what I thought was going to be the toughest first which was one of the swing cylinders. The swing cylinder gland was in bad shape from the last person who monkeyed with it. The holes for the spanner wrench were destroyed. I managed to get it off though by starting it with a pipe wrench. Got it out, got the new seals and everything installed and the rod etc. all back together. Even drilled some new holes in the gland for the spanner wrench. Next up the boom cylinder. Thought this was going to be easy. Well, the gland was rather difficult and even though I could get the spanner wrench on it, wouldn't break it loose so I used to the pipe wrench to start it. Had to drill out the set screw too as it was in bad shape. Once I got the gland unscrewed I noticed it was discolored. Seems like a previous owner heated it up or possibly welded on it. The bolt on the rod wasn't very tight either. Got it apart, into the garage, began replacing seals etc and the last was the gland wiper. I could not get it to go in for anything even putting the wiper in the freezer for a while. I ended up ruining the wiper. Good thing they sent me an extra kit by accident. I took a Dremel around the lip of the gland where the wiper seats a few times but still wouldn't go. I left the wiper in the freezer overnight and tried it real quick this morning but still doesn't want to go in except on one side. What kind of tricks or tips do you guys have that I might be able to use to get this thing in and back together this afternoon after my 8-5 is over? Looking forward to hearing them. Thanks.
Maybe warm the seal up in some hot water then install it.
Is this a steel seal with a plastic wiper? or just plastic that goes into the gland?
It is a steel seal with plastic wiper that goes into the top of the gland.
How much of a squeeze is there. Wiper might not be for the groove you have
It tries to squeeze in a bit oval as one side will go but the other stays up. The kit is supposed to be for the cylinder. I am just wondering if heat or welding applied to it previously might play a part.
We used to use a Press and piece of Steel Stock to keep wiper seals flat to get it installed. You are installing what seems backwards? where the seal lip faces Out to actually wipe the shaft?
I am installing it correctly in regard to direction. The lip and u shape are facing up. I have thought about a press just don't have one.
Hydraulic jack instead of a press?
I do have a hydraulic jack but not a press. I was considering ways I might utilize it in that manner but would have to figure out something to press against that is flat.
Just have to give it some thought. As long as the gland and the base of the jack are square you should be ok.
Does it fit the rod before you tried to put it in the gland ? If you are absolutely certain it is the correct seal, take the gland to someone with a lathe and have it (the gland) sized correctly. You never need to use brute force to get a wiper seal in.
Hey good evening guys, I have to report that I am a dumbo. Before I even started on this again I prayed and then set up a make shift press with the hydraulic jack. Took the wiper out of the freezer, tried to press it but would not go. Took the gland back to the vise to grind a little more with the Dremel and had a thought then looked and wondered, was the original wiper's metal ring still in there but just looks like part of the gland? Sure enough, took a chisel to it and it came right up. Tapped the new wiper in there after ruining the first one and put it all back together. Working great and no leaks! Thanks guys for your help and that is a lesson I will not soon forget! UGH
What part of SC are you in? I have described myself by your screen name many times.
I was scrolling down and was going to tell you that part of the metal clad wiper was still in the gland. Then your last comment. I figured it out the same way you did.
I am in the Greenville area. I learned of the term polymath a couple years ago and though yes, I think that might be me, lol.
Makes me feel better I am not alone lol. I should have known considering how the plastic part just crumbled when I picked it out. It is a lesson I will not soon forget.
We have all done similar to be certain.
Thanks DMMiller. My wife reminded me that successful people fail many times before they become successful. I was glad that out of two cylinders, I only made one mistake that I know of thankfully and even with what it cost I still saved money doing it myself. My dad also told me a story on himself when he was younger which made me feel better too. I am finding myself enjoying this more than my 8-5 sitting behind a desk and computer all day.
Oh, I would NEVER do such a thing
If that's the case then why am I not A millionaire?? LOL
I thought about this one, too. Then, I realized that it's not only successful people who fail many times....
I hear you polymath....I work for an electric and gas utility. For over 25 years I was fixing and teaching about the stuff (bucket trucks, cranes, backhoes, tractors, trailers, etc.). Then, they said, we want you to sit at this desk and type on a keyboard, ok, and we are going to pay you more...that was 10 years ago, and I hate it...got 3 more to go and I will be tinkering around full time, for myself!
Yes Swetz, people think that sitting behind a desk all day is so easy but I think the mental hurdles and having to sit make me more tired than if I did manual labor all day. It gets old for sure.
And, at least for me, not very rewarding!
Me either.