Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wire for guards:

Bandit44 ยท 2008-02-07 08:44

Any suggestions where around Memphin Tn. you can find the heavy welded wire they make the rear and side screens that come on dozers? I have checked everywhere and all I can find is expanded metal, this will word but it is harder to see thru than the heavy metal wire that I see on most dozers.

Replies11
  1. #1Lashlander2008-02-07 10:49

    You need to find someone who deals with rock crushers or screening plants. Most gravel pits shound have used ones they will give you to get rid of them.

  2. #2R Leo2008-02-07 20:37

    IMHO, expanded metal is a waste of time. My expanded metal screens look like they've taken incoming RPG fire. ASAP I'm heading to Gifford-Hill or Hanson and asking for some crusher screen.

  3. #3surfer-joe2008-02-07 21:20

    Yep, some crusher screen is the only way to go. Buy new, unless you can find some slightly used in really good condition. A good welder can make it look pretty for you and easy to install or remove.

  4. #416tons2010-02-17 22:38

    i agree i work at a crushing plant and we hav tons of spent screens from 8mesh to 2" sqoop.we run a d8r with 1" guards around the eng with welded henges for axses to oil and trans dip sticks also filters .so 1" would be agood guard for what this man is looking for.

  5. #5watglen2010-02-18 08:20

    fyi, i think what you are looking for is called woven wire. ITll be heavy gauge, but that is the name of that type of product.

  6. #6rickfind2010-02-18 12:15

    metal screen bandit44,try McNichols.com,I Have found every thing in that sort of stuff,from them. I've even found engine enclosures metal screen, that matched my cat d7g. I have bought from them and they were reasonable.

  7. #7D6c10K2010-02-18 18:54

    McMaster Carr has heavy gage woven wire... http://www.mcmaster.com/#woven-wire-cloth/=5vkvwo MSC also has quite a few sizes... http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRV...KG&SISRCH=2&SILEVL=3&SILSEQ=1&SIT4NO=80163974

  8. #8sawmilleng2010-02-20 22:56

    Try any steel supplier Bandit44, Try just about any industrial outfit that supplies steel, like angle iron, I beams and plate steel. They may have the woven wire mesh you're looking for or be able to get it on short notice, or direct you to someone who can supply it. My supplier usually provides it in 4x8 sheets but I think it can be had in larger sizes if you really want it. The gravel screening dealers will have some of the sizes but you will be paying an extra markup to pass it thru their hands. They'll be buying it from the steel suppliers, too. You'll want to know what opening size and wire diameter you want. For logging work we use a lot of 2"x2" square with 1/4" wire around the operators canopy. How strong it will be depends a lot on how you mount it. For example, if you put the wire in a heavy frame and weld each wire to the frame, then bolt the frame into the machine, it will be ton stronger than if the mesh is just bolted to the machine with big washers in the openings. Jon.

  9. #9basecamp2010-03-08 11:26

    Bandit44, I also have had good luck with McNichol. Jim

  10. #10joncro552011-09-12 10:43

    Just happened to be looking around the forum and came across this topic. Thought I would throw a source out there for you guys: http://www.bwire.com/ Reliable company in New Jersey I have used several times in the past for various projects. They are local for me, but theyre price always seems to be very competitive when compared to other places. Service is great too, can usually get my cut pieces the next day if needed. Mcmaster Carr is great for a lot of things, but when it comes to this woven screen I think they are just buying from the manufacturers, marking up the prices by 50% and selling to consumers.

  11. #11Old Magnet2011-09-12 10:54

    In my area the best source is Howard Wire Cloth Co. (Calif.) Goes under the catagory of "Square Opening Space Screen" All sizes of openings, wire ga. and crimp styles.