Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

wiring diagram + first timer + 310C = Doable or crazy?

CTDEEREGUY ยท 2015-04-08 14:31

Thanks for reading, I'm new to backhoes and recently bought a 1989 310C with questionable wiring. Many of the gauges don't work, bulb check doesn't work and tach/oil gauges are out. I looked into the side console and see many wires have been cut, wire harnesses disconnected and electrical tape holding things together. If I purchase a test manual and get the wiring diagram is this something a beginner can tackle? Are Deere diagrams written for the average homeowner to interpret? I'm pretty handy but no mechanic... The machine runs great, no digging issues.....should I just leave this alone? for some reason it really bugs me Previous homeowner mentioned the machine had parasitic draw on the battery so I suspect he went crazy with a pair of wire cutters...then he discovered a thing called battery cutoff switch...

Replies9
  1. #1hosspuller2015-04-08 17:51

    I too, have rat's nest wired 310c. It only has less than 1/2 dozen circuits. The most complicated wiring is the logic module for the dash warning lights. Either get a new wiring harness or a roll of wire and a bunch of various connectors and go to it!

  2. #2CTDEEREGUY2015-04-08 18:23

    Thanks hosspuller....so a roll of wire/fittings and a wiring diagram...scary

  3. #3hosspuller2015-04-08 20:10

    I make light of it, but don't be over confident. the previous owner has made some changes ... ??? You'll need to completely understand the original circuit. You'll find wires that shouldn't be there... as well as wires that are missing. It is time consuming, that's why taking the machine to a shop and paying for shop time is too expensive. Take your time and remember ... proper fuses are your friend in case of a mistake. :drinkup

  4. #4CTDEEREGUY2015-04-08 22:05

    Thanks hosspuller....I've pm'd you

  5. #5Delmer2015-04-09 10:05

    I don't see what could be too hard if you have the manual. The manual should have a couple of different diagrams that will help you figure out what's not clear from the other diagram. Deere also labeled each wire slightly differently, so 12A goes from point A to point B where it connects to 12B that continues to point C. With regard to the parasitic draw, no clock or computer in this, the alternator and the ignition switch are the only two things that get battery voltage when the key is off, not too hard to figure out which one it is. The starter solenoid and some relays also have battery power, but those don't typically "leak", unless it took a swim in salt water maybe... Just to be clear, the alternator is the first thing to suspect for draining a battery while off.

  6. #6Usrjcro112015-04-09 16:23

    If just worried about water and oil pressure why not put s set of Murphy switches with a sonalert alarm

  7. #7hookedondiesel2015-04-10 06:39

    That sounds about right, take a test light and put it between the negative battery cable and the battery, (disconnect it from the battery first), if it lights up, you have a drain to ground. Start removing fuses or disconnecting wires here and there until it goes out, when it does, you have found your drain. A radio with an "always on" clock will take a little drain also.

  8. #8CTDEEREGUY2015-04-10 12:02

    Thanks for this valuable information....I will first tackle the alternator as I've learned it can cause crazy things to happen with the gauges/stops lights...etc....i do know my alternator isn't charging the bat....keeping my fingers crossed this solves all my problems

  9. #9repowerguy2015-04-10 20:34

    You might consider just forgetting the original gauges and put in some 2in universal ones, and making up your own wiring harness. I did this numerous times on machines whose dash clusters and harnesses were fixed beyond repair by ''mechanics'' before me. If this is your machine that is the way i would go, and you know how it is wired if you need repairs in the future. Just a thought!