Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wood splitter

nobull1 ยท 2003-12-21 23:29

If I can ever figure out how to get pic's on here I have some pretty cool one's of a new 4x4 JD tractor,tilt log trailer and wood cutter splitter with a 5 foot carbide tipped blade.Buddy just bought all this stuff and is doing his first job at my yard.He is cutting and splitting about 60 cords for me.Pretty cool to see work has a 50 ton ram for splitting ,60 hp hydraulic motor to run the blade,30 foot conveyor and 16 foot live bed Now if I can figure this pic thing out

Replies17
  1. #1nobull12003-12-22 07:39

    Think it works now.Here is one

  2. #2nobull12003-12-22 07:41

    another

  3. #3nobull12003-12-22 07:46

    Tractor pic......when I get a chance I will take a pic of the trailer.This machine can split & cut between 3 and 5 cords per hour.Cool ah

  4. #4Steve Frazier2003-12-22 08:05

    They call them "Firewood Processors". That's about the biggest one I've seen!! Tell your friend he better invest in a metal detector to scan the logs, this is the first I've seen with a big circular blade, most I've see have chainsaw blades to cut to length. If he hits a piece of metal with that blade, $$$$!!!! I was at a sawmill where the operator had hit a spike in a log, wiped out the blade, cost was in the thousands! I'd love to see more pics!

  5. #5nobull12003-12-22 13:12

    He said the blade was worth about $4000.00 cdn .It seems to work pretty good but you get a lot of waste so I don't know if it is a good deal or not, time will tell.Production and cost per cord processed will be the telling factor.Takes a lot longer to cut a cord of 8 inch than 18.I will try and snap a couple of better pic's when I get a chance

  6. #6paulsoccodato2003-12-22 21:30

    Defenitly, a nice setup

  7. #7nobull12004-01-09 23:39

    Machine hauled out today so I can give a little update as to performance.The sales people tell a good story 5 cords a hour yah right maybe if all trees were 30 inches 16 feet long.The machine is not real fast and takes as long to cut a 6 inch as a 24 so small wood takes a lot longer.Might be able to get 2 1/2 cords per hour if working at max no problems.I think 1 1/2 is more in line on a daily bases once the bugs are out.Makes a lot of waste not cheap to runs need 2 men not a lot of production,time will tell

  8. #8cortlandj862011-04-06 16:02

    wow. I have never seen one that big in my entire life. thanks for sharing and posting some pics. very interesting

  9. #9Monte12552011-04-07 10:19

    The machine from the photos looks pretty well built, but seems to have issues. As mentioned before, the blade is expensive to replace, and takes way too much hp to run. This is where the saw bar processors really shine. Hudson makes a simple processor, and the idea that I like about them is the rollers for the infeed table which tend to knock off dirt as the log is fed into them. Sure the saw bar doesn't cut as fast as a circular blade but I have had the opprotunity to see this machine working near me and it will easily do two cords an hour without all the HP requirements. http://www.hud-son.com/beast_10_10_08.html Agreed smaller logs it is deffinatly faster to cut them with a chain saw, but if your stuffing an outdoor wood burner, chances are you don't need them split anyway. cut em up and push em on a pile or haul the chunks to the wood shed with skidsteer if ya got one.

  10. #10ScottAR2011-04-07 18:51

    Looks like a Cord King... finished first or second in the firewood challenge put out by sawmill and woodlot magazine a couple years ago. Multitek and Woodbine are two others to look at with that level of production. Woodbine also offers a bit smaller one that runs off a tractor pto if you have a spare tractor. One less engine to maintain. HTH

  11. #11Monte12552011-04-07 22:57

    I saw the woodbine in operation too ScottAR, slick little machine without all the high dollar price tag that processors have. I haven't kept up to date on the newer woodbine models, but a few years ago I see they had a stop arm that one used to set the length of chunks, it seemed then to have a pinch point that would be likely to skip a saw chain once the chunk was cut off.............but to be quite honest I thought it was well built, low HP requirements, and simple to maintain.

  12. #12fyrwood guy2011-04-19 14:47

    here's a few pic's of mine i bought brand new in '85....gotter down to 11 min cord.

  13. #13TruLine2011-05-12 14:51

    i think your dump truck is full.

  14. #14biggrader2011-05-14 09:38

    naa. there's still room on the hood.lol

  15. #15bstephenson2011-05-17 15:54

    Usually you see the chainsaw blade, but I guess you usually don't see one that big either.

  16. #16dresser125c2011-05-19 11:38

    Awesome!

  17. #17Greg2011-07-18 09:55

    don't forget the cab too. A couple of 5 gallon pails full of kindling will fit in there too.