Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work Equipment Clearances

ejuan ยท 2013-04-30 14:20

Hi guys. Im wondering if there is a standard clearance in excavators work equipment. I mean between deeper arm and bucket, deeper arm and boom, and between boom and revolving frame (Where you place the shims). Operator says there should be no play between these parts. These are new machines, and I want to make sure so I contact the dealer so he can place shims or correct it. Is there a problem if you dont have the correct clearance between these parts? Thanks for your help. Juan.

Replies5
  1. #1Steve 6502013-04-30 21:21

    of course you have some spec clearence. more tight=more stress to attachement parts. Dealer always says that if you have too much tight parts you can broke a stick / boom / frame. But from my personal experience, I always put some shims to get the tighter clearence i can get and never had a prob for the past 12 years.

  2. #2ejuan2013-05-02 22:58

    Thanks Steve I thought there was a thumb rule like 2 mm free play or something like that.

  3. #3lantraxco2013-05-02 23:35

    There's a book spec that differs by make and model and joint. In my opinion there should be a little slack, but the more slop you have in the joints the faster they wear and pound out. YMMV. Cheers

  4. #4RayF2013-05-03 00:06

    Usually there are minimum and maximum clearance in the service manual. When I machine a bucket or the end of a stick I would normally allow around a millimetre clearance. lantraxco is right. Faces that start pounding will wear out bores and faces quick. Good news for us Line Borers.

  5. #5kevin37b2013-05-20 12:46

    ***? are you talking the pins to lube them or what , amazing .