Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Working the burn pile

Cowboy Billy ยท 2010-05-19 10:03

Dad and I were at the farm over the weekend. The weather was great but the black flies were coming out. But it was sure nice to have a little fire. About 1/8 of the pile was dry wood from four years ago when we started on our little project. The rest was brush form the deer feed plot we are putting in and from the side of trails I am putting in. Its hard to believe you can just push a green tree out of the ground and burn it. You gotta respect the power of fire. There was a two day soaking rain before we got up. I have a pond and fire hose pump and fire hose ready just incase and the dozer ready for emergency's. I also checked the weather to make sure there was not going to be any strong winds. Most people stir up there fire with a stick or a rake. But I use a dozer Billy

Replies7
  1. #1Cowboy Billy2010-05-19 10:09

    Really getting it stirred up now.

  2. #2Cowboy Billy2010-05-19 10:14

    I am so glad the weather cooperated and I was able to get this mess cleaned up. Its great when work is fun!!!! Billy

  3. #3CM19952010-05-19 10:26

    Yes it is!:thumbsup That's what I call quality father and son time.

  4. #4Cowboy Billy2010-05-19 10:52

    Thanks CM1995 Dad and I have had 40 acres in Michigan's eastern UP since 1989. In 2006 Dad and my youngest brother bought a adjoining 80 acres. It was all wooded and we had to make a road 1/4 mile across my Uncles property just to get to ours. Since 06 Dad has gotten a Case W-14 wheel loader the JD450 dozer and a old 76 GMC 9500 dump truck with a 6-71 DD in it. Dad doesn't run any equ but loves watching me run it. But I have to keep on him about giving me enough working room. He follows me around on the fourwheeler and gets so close I cannot see him. But he is getting better. Billy

  5. #5KW3182010-05-19 18:27

    I'm looking for some new toys, do you think your Dad would be interested in adopting another big overgrown kid? :falldownlaugh I'd even put in a buddy seat just for him :beerchug, I'll bet he'd love that! It would also keep him from getting runned over. Let me know if he's interested. Thanks!

  6. #6dav32010-05-19 23:46

    burn pile that's some burn pile!

  7. #7Cowboy Billy2010-05-20 07:57

    Cool KW318 I'll let Dad know he has another son!! He will be 77 july 4th. And is still working full time! Howdy Dav3 It doesn't take long to bet a pile like that even after pulling out all the saw logs. If the weather is right I have another pile for memorial weekend. I have put 1.5+ miles of trails in in the last year. Billy