Hi everyone, I’ve read almost everyting in the forum and have learned a lot of things. I’m would like to know what you guys would do in my situation : I own 26 acres of land in the north of montreal. A neighbor/friend owns a pc200 and have made a 1km driveway on the land, wich is quite steep in some place. Over all, it cost me 40K$ for this driveway. I would like to have an piece of equipment in order to build terrace on the land, dig my foundation myself, dig a pond, clear land for horse ring… and a lot of other project I will have on my land. I would also like to use this equipment as a second income. Initially, I tought of buying a mini ex, but with my soil type ( lots of big rocks and trees) it would not be strong enough. It also seems in my area that everyone as a mini ex and do septic work and foundation repair with it. There are 10 guys in a 10 km2 area. After that, I tought of buying a loader backhoe, probably a case 580 from what I read. My tought was that I could use it to plow snow ( get rid of my pick up and plow so less maintenace), maintain the gravel road, and do all my digging ( more slowly than with a full size excavator of course). Having settled on the loader backhoe, I’ve read about how to plow and maintain a gravel road. For plowing a 1km drive, I would need an angle plow ( 4k$ minimum). For the gravel road, every attachment I found was for a 3pt tractor. Of course, I could just drag a log of an I-beam, but that would remove the crown in my road and since my land is steep, i really need my crown! Last week, I went to the ritchie bros auction with the pc200 guy. I had the chance to try about 30 different excavator, mini ex, midi ex. I haven’t had the chance to try the loader backhoe because they sold them early the morning. I was amazed by the full size excavator. I would really picture myself working with that and really had a great time and… well I fell in love! I also tried the mini ex but they felt like toys after the full size! The pc200 guy is a great guy. He doesn’t have the certification to do residential stuff ( septic, foundation…) but he manage to find work full time doing logging road, landscaping, land clearing and driveway. That would also be my goal since getting the certification here is expensive and complicated. I’m wearry of stealing job from my neighbor but that’s exactly the kind of job that would be accessible for me if I buy the excavator… but then again, not a lot of guy have full size excavator around me. I don't plan on loading dump truck but need to move a few stump and rocks, I can rent a dump truck for 65$ an hour if needed So, long post to ask these question : -I have a maximum of 20K$ to spend, 3K$ more if I can sell the truck and the plow. should I go with the backhoe or the excavator? - I would like to make second income with my piece of equipment, wich one would be the best for that? -maintenance wise, It seems that a backhoe have more moving parts, break, wheel… etc than an excavator. Am I right in thinking it’s more expensive to maintain a loader backhoe than an excavator? -how can you grade gravel with a loader bacckhoe while keeping the crown? How can you establish the crown in a new driveway with the loader backhoe? Gravel maintenance could be a good income around my property since everyone has a gravel driveway. - can a guy find good work doing only landscape, driveway and pond? -long term wise, In 20 years I will retire and would like to work full time with a machine ( not the same than now) and would like to gain experience in something that can be done full time… I don’t know if one is better than the other. -I don’t plan to move the machine a lot, and if I do, I would charge the transport fee to the client, that’s what everyone do around here. Any advice, question, comment is appreciated, My next step is to go try a loader backhoe and see how I like it… thanks a lot Alexis
An experienced operator can do most of what you are wanting to do using a TLB. However, an inexperienced operator will most likely make a big mess and tear up more than fix up. First, if you get any amount of snow I would not get rid of the plow on the truck. For a drive this size, a tlb is not the ideal machine for plowing. It will do it, but if you already have a truck with a plow it will be easier and do a better job. Before you think about going out for hire, you will need a fair amount of seat time on what ever machine you purchase before becoming proficient enough to hire out. When someone is paying to have work done, they expect an operator who can work the machine to its capacity. It sound as if you have enough work on your own property to gain ample seat time and operating experience. It sound like a TLB will be the most versital for what you want to do. That being said it won't do everything, so be prepared to rent equipment from time to time. I have a TLB in addition to a farm tractor with a 3pt hitch with a box scraper, york rake, and grader blade. This combination gives me the ability to dig and move dirt with the backhoe, and grade with the farm tractor and box scraper. Around here, if you are hiring out, it is expected that you can move your piece of equipment. Depending upon the piece, transportation is expected to be worked into the job. I have always charged my hourly rate from the time I leave the house until I leave the job site. Hope this helps. John
Whatever you decide on, I´d hang on to the truck. If a plow for the backhoe will cost you $4k and you sell the truck for $3k, you haven´t gained anything. As you find yourself making repairs, you´ll be glad that you kept the truck.
how would you get fuel with out truck and with out being able to float the machine a tlb is your best bet. around here i have to price my job with my float fee in or people will just call someone else cause your quote has one more thing that the other guys doesnt
Don't I have the fuel problem no matter what machine I get? I live in a rural area so I couldn't drive the tlb for 5 miles just to fuel up... I tought of placing a fuel tank in my pickup. That what my neighbor does. When I asked around for prices. It was always a price per hour and a transport fee usually 12$ to 150$ with 3000$ transport. Thanks for the answer, still looking for a backhoe near me to go try it. Alexis