Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

XID vs LED vs halogen lighting

powerjoke ยท 2013-02-22 20:34

I need to light up a couple of the older machines and have been looking at the cheap xid and led lights on eBay, I'm sure it's just like all the other Chinese junk made nowadays but I don't want to spend $350 per light either, I would be happy with just about any 24v lighting but I was wanting to know if anyone has bought/used any of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x27W-9LED-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f551663e&vxp=mtr Also looking for input on high intensity lights, I bought a set of aftermarket lights that looked jut like the caterpillar but they was twin beam and they worked great but had high amp draw but cannot find where I bought them at, any ideas on that would be helpful as well Thanks Pj

Replies8
  1. #1Karl Robbers2013-02-22 21:48

    If they were my machines, I would go for high intensity LED lighting. Working underground our older machines run 24V halogen lights, the next generation of machines run HID lighting for high beam at least. These are much better, being clearer and less fatiguing over a shift. The latest machines run high intensity LED lights and they are phenominal. Bright, clear light and low power draw into the bargain. No blown globe issues either.

  2. #2BDFT2013-02-22 22:22

    I ran a 2850 Madill nights last summer with LED lights. They're great for normal close in work but if I had to see what was up ahead I would call over the JD 848 skidder with HID lights. That thing lit up the country like daytime.

  3. #3Dualie2013-02-24 20:18

    I have friend that is using these http://www.towtruckleds.com/72-watt-off-road-recovery-light-4600-Lumens-12X2F.htm and they are VERY bright

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2013-02-24 23:33

    Dualie That looks like a good light. I found these, and the nice thing about them is they have their own inverter, and will work on anything from 9 to 32 volt, so they are a bolt on for your pick up or heavy equipment. I do not have them, but thinking about getting some. http://www.oraclelights.com/automot...-Road-Lights/8-24W-LED-Light-Bar---Part--5721

  5. #5Dualie2013-02-24 23:35

    im 90% sure the lightbars i linked do will do the same. I know they will work on 12V and 24V systems

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2013-02-24 23:47

    Yes, they say 10 to 35 volt, and I looked again after I posted and they put out 4600 lumens, compared to "only" 2800 on the more expensive ones I posted, and 1800 on the ones in powerjokes post.

  7. #7powerjoke2013-02-25 15:12

    4600 compared to 1800 is quite a difference. Ill have to re think the Ebay china junk I guess

  8. #8Dualie2013-02-27 01:59

    Like i said VERY bright. Almost TO bright.