Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar Vio35-5B Rotating Drive

rpg005 ยท 2015-07-20 09:57

My dad recently purchased a used Yanmar Vio35 excavator with about 2,100 hours on it. It was originally a rental machine, so I'm sure it has some extra wear and tear, but everything seems to be in good working order. I replaced all of the fluids and filters since we don't know the service history. The only item that we might like to address is that there seems to be a little extra play in the rotating mechanism. Are there any adjustments for this to tighten it up? If not, is there a portion of the mechanism that can be replaced to fix this? Can anyone give me an idea on how much is involved in this project and a rough figure how much it would cost for parts? Thank you in advance, Ross

Replies2
  1. #1Canuck Digger2015-11-27 01:51

    I have the same machine. They all have a rotec bearing and over time it will develop a slop. Some is normal and comes that way from the factory. Some brands/models are tighter than other right from new. Not sure why.... I'm far from being a mechanic, but from what I understand, it's pretty much use it till the bearing packs it in and replace. It's a pretty big job. Some of the slop might be coming from your pins as well. (might not all be in the bearing) Make sure the bearing gets greased!

  2. #2mikebramel2015-11-28 00:40

    You mean backlash when swinging from left to right? That would be the swing reduction gear and swing bearing teeth