Mr. Wrench

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Kenworth #3103180
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    That is an awesome truck! I love rotators! Does it have an X15?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3094029
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I think it was a Gralion A500E the best I can tell. I’m not sure what it sold for.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093927
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I was just able to take some time and read through this article on the 8.2. A really good article. Did many of you guys work on these? It says the injectors where hard to set, any experience? Did you ever see many medium trucks buses, or boats with them? The one I saw was in a road grader. I had heard about them but did not think I would ever see one because they all where in the junk yard!

    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    It sounds like you may have a hydraulic pressure problem. I would try to check the forward and reverse pressure out of the pump and compare them. Then you would be able to see way it is not moving and just determine if it is a pump problem or an electrical problem. Are your voltage readings at the valve coils? If they are that reading may not be right because the coils are usually PWM so your meter is just reading average voltage. You need to check duty cycle or look at it with a scope.

    in reply to: CAT 299D3 Fault codes #3092437
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Thank you, I’ll go through those and see what I find.

    in reply to: CAT 299D3 Fault codes #3092434
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I replaced the DEF header today and that seemed to take care of the code 3516-11. I still need to code the injector and force a regen. I am still having trouble doing that with my Diesel Laptop. Have reached out to them about why it will not do those two things. The following CAN buss codes are coming up some times and I have never seen them before: 523548-2 523591-2 523592-2 523620-2 Not sure what to think about these. They would clear out but would come back after a little bit. It seemed like I would notice them after I tried to force the regen but maybe not always. Could this be keeping me from forcing the regen?

    in reply to: CAT 299D3 Fault codes #3092433
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    One thing I have learned with this job so for is, whenever you have electrical problems it is good to spend some time just looking over the wiring harness. On this one I could have fixed about half of the problems without even using the DMM or hooking up a computer.

    in reply to: CAT 299D3 Fault codes #3092431
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Just want to give an update on how this job is coming. Code 651-3 The number 1 injector coil was open. Replaced the injector and now it is hitting on all 4. Code 2685-8 and 2686-8 These were caused by a torn up wire harness from the track motor to inside the frame. I replaced the harness and the code had cleared by the time I had backed it out of the shop. Code 358-5 This was because the Implement Control Solenoid was unplugged. Code 598-5 This was because the Travel Speed Solenoid was unplugged. Code 458-3, 3700-3 and 350-3 These where all because the wiring harness that goes up the right loader arm was damaged badly. I repaired it by putting new wires in it all the way from plug to plug. I should have just replaced the harness but I thought I would save some money. The wiring harness from the arm to the quick tach was bad to so I replaced it also. Code 3516-11 I did not have this code at first. I think it is the DEF header that is bad. The DEF fluid test ok and the wiring checks ok. Just have to get the header. Code 3701-16, 3701-15, E1239-3, and E1239-2 These are all codes because it needs to regen. I have not been able to force it to regen yet but I hope that is just because the DEF header is bad and once that is replaced it will regen.

    in reply to: Autonomous Machine Control #3103916
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Computers can process a huge amount of data quickly but they can not see, hear, taste, smell, or feel like a human. They can not anticipate everything that could ever go wrong in real world conditions. What will it do when a mouse gets in and chews some wires? Will it just start running full speed ahead and run over a school bus full of kids? I am not a fan of AI or autonomous at all. Can they get it work in the lab? Yes. What kind of nightmares will it create in the field after a while?

    in reply to: TEREX 82-10 6v71T Detroit Revival #3103891
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I would definitely put fresh fuel to it and new fuel filters. The fuel has to be nasty. Then I would wait for an answer for the experts, I don’t have much experience with them yet. Glad you are trying to save a piece of old iron and a Detroit to!

    in reply to: Bobcat T770 cranks and dies #3103677
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Thank you that makes sense. I have seen rail caps for sale and now I know what they are for.

    in reply to: Kenworth #3103209
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    So that truck is a 1958, 900 series and the 23 indicates the options that it has?

    in reply to: Bobcat T770 cranks and dies #3103666
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I was just curious why capping one injector? I’m not familiar with that. Maybe a stupid question.

    in reply to: cat 299 d3 voltage issues #3103602
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I like what Simon C said. I’ll add, it is always good to get real numbers and not to assume it is right. The numbers will tell you alot and give you something to go off of. Open circuit battery voltage, charge voltage, ground voltage drop, ect. I don’t mean to preach it’s just really important.

    in reply to: Kenworth #3103157
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I have been seeing alot of pictures of KW’s that look like that meanly the yellow one. What is it called, an early W900, something else? Is that what they called a Needle Nose or was that a Peterbuit? Also what years did they make that style?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 415 total)