Mr. Wrench

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093824
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    So does the top of the sleeve actually set below the deck on the block on a low block 6-71? Can you tell a low block engine by looking at it from the outside. I’m still a little confused on the low block thing. Care to explain more?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093805
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Now that makes more since. So the liner protrusion has to be consistent and within spec. Now the sleeve OD, you don’t want it drop in, and you don’t want to drive it in, but it should just push in snug. Would that be about right? Would you want it the same for a wet sleeve and a dry sleeve?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093785
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    That is a big list and a lot of work. I have not rebuilt any engines that big yet. Mostly stuff in ag equipment so alot of them are dry sleeve with no liner protrusion. I know how it can be to pay real close attention to the details and then still have some problems and then I have a neighbor who can overhaul an engine in the cow lot and it’s good to go, no problems. It is hard to find good machinist around here. I had a FORD engine I had bored oversize. When I got it together it was hydro-locking on one cylinder I guess it had started to have cavitation erosion and when it was bored it had a tiny hole in one of the cylinders that I did not see. The machine shop would not stand behind his work and it was not the costumers fault so guess who had to absorb that one! Now that model of engine I will only have it bored and sleeved back to standard.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093675
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    So if the liner protrusion is to low the fire rings leak and if the protrusion is to high they can crack. I’m still not quite sure if I understand. Can you cut the counter bores and use shims like on a CAT say a 3406?

    in reply to: Antique & Vintage Trucks. #3028357
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    What kind of horsepower out of something like that? Always amassed me how much they could get out of those and they where still air cooled.

    in reply to: Antique & Vintage Trucks. #3028187
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I have never seen one of those. Is it air, oil, or liquid cooled? Non-turbo? Is it stock in the truck or did someone just put it in.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3094078
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I enjoyed reading your post. I was wondering where the problem is on those sleeves. Is it in the liner protrusion or sleeve OD to cylinder fitment. What are you paying attention to? What happens if you don’t have it right? You have me scared now. I hope to rebuild two of mine in the future and I want to get them right. Do you have to watch it on all the series or just on 71’s. You said 71’s are dry 92’s are wet, what are 53’s? Do you have to watch for this on dry and wet? I appreciate you guys being willing to teach me what it has taken all your life to learn.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093938
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I noticed in some earlier post, some talk about cylinder sleeve fitment. Does anyone care to talk about that farther? Are they dry sleeves or wet sleeves? I thought that 71’s had one kind and 53’s had another but I don’t remember which.

    in reply to: John Deere 331G Won’t throttle up #3096798
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Thank you, I will check those things when I go over there. I’ll let you know what I find.

    in reply to: Cat 272D2 Fault Codes #3089519
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    How would you diagnose that? Is CAT using them on some of their equipment?

    in reply to: John Deere 4045t250a Crank no start #3096783
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    You could take the solenoid out to see if anything is wrong with it. If not it may be the pump needs rebuilt.

    in reply to: Cat 272D2 Fault Codes #3089511
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Can you explain what that is?

    in reply to: John Deere 331G Won’t throttle up #3096796
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I’m not sure, the machine is not at my location right now. I’ll be going to work on it tuesday. Can you explain what you think may be going on?

    in reply to: Cat 272D2 Fault Codes #3089504
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I’m sorry for the confusion. When I said “reference voltage” I meet sensor power supply. Different people call it different things. The way you described it is probable the most accurate. Is that what CAT calls it? A lot of the things I work on of other brands use 5v for sensor supply. It sounds like CAT uses 5v, 8v, and even 12v sometimes. Thank you for explaining “pull up voltage”.

    in reply to: Cat 272D2 Fault Codes #3089498
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I was going back over this post and it is really good information. Some questions I had. How do I know if a machine uses CDL or J1939 or what about a machine that uses both? Is Ethernet only used on the really big machines like mining equipment that is very new? Was the clicker box used before CDL or is it how CDL was when it first came out?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 415 total)