Mr. Wrench

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 3 Air Valves #3107615
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I saw the reply after I posted. Is that engine what they called the Maxidyne?

    in reply to: 3 Air Valves #3107613
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Very neat truck. Long frame, long hood, mitered pipes. What engine does it have?

    in reply to: Full Time Diesel Tech Hirings in Arkansas #3104651
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I like to support my MAC man and get what I can from him. He will replace broken or dull drill bits. And he comes to my shop to do it. What is that worth? If you are good to them, they will usually be good to you. I have a friend that has a Snap On man that comes to his shop. He is always checking prices and trying to get deals and then getting it cheaper somewhere else. Guess what, he does not come to his shop much anymore. Can’t say that I blame him. They are trying to make a living to. You’re not just paying for a tool, but also a service. Some things it just does not make sense to buy from the tool trucks. Some people don’t have a good tool man in their area. That is unfortunate. Sometimes it makes the most sense to buy some cheap tools even though I kind of resist the whole China thing. Like big wrenches, 2″ and bigger. I have never broke one. I would hate to know what they cost from Snap On. So I have Harbor Freight ones.

    in reply to: Full Time Diesel Tech Hirings in Arkansas #3104611
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I spent alot of money on tools before I was married and had a family. I don’t regret that and have not sold hardly any of them. Glad I could do that then because I could not now.

    in reply to: 3 Air Valves #3107614
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I have never seen a truck with the Blue air valve. I read about them in a Heavy Duty Truck repair manual but it wasn’t real clear to me. So it sounds like, pull the red knob sets the trailer brakes, pull the yellow knob, that sets the trailer and tractor brakes, pull the blue knob and that sets just the tractor brakes. Is that right? They must not use that setup anymore. What time frame did they use it or was it just an option?

    in reply to: Full Time Diesel Tech Hirings in Arkansas #3104602
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I agree with that on the tool boxes. I bought a new cheapest grade MAC soon after I started and it has been good. The tools make you money not the tool box. Put the money in tools. My next one will probably be a Harbor Freight. Milwaukee Packout’s are great, I use them for mobile work. I use alot of MAC tools. Not as pricey as Snap On but still pretty good. Get stuff when it is on the sale if you can. Some stuff you’re just better off to get the cheaper stuff.

    in reply to: Fires #3107194
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Maybe this is the wrong thread for this. I’m not a truck driver so I don’t know what some of these terms are. I basically know what double clutching is. What is a slushbox or a weed burner? I need a dictionary on truck terms (just the ones that are appropriate).

    in reply to: Massive welding job #3106929
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Blobs of molten steel bouncing around in your apparel can really make a guy dance a jig. I guess wearing PPE would help.

    in reply to: Genie Manlift joystick troubleshooting and repair, help! #3105885
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Yes those are the trim pots that have the green stuff on them. You just have to carefully remove the glue/sealer to adjust them. They usually take a small flat screwdriver.

    in reply to: Autonomous Machine Control #3103913
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    GPS can be more efficient when it is working. More accurate, less time and material waste. What I don’t like about it, is you don’t have to learn the skill to operate the machine like these older guys who could hold grade by sight and feel. Technology can have advantages but as it takes over tasks, people become dumber. The guys that ran cable machines before they had hydraulics, those guys had skill! Look at the thread Old Conventionals At Work. That is skill. I have respect for people like that. Use technology where it makes sense, but teach skills also. I guess it is hard to teach skills if people don’t care to learn.

    in reply to: Bobcat T650 Hard Starting #3106894
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    It is the Doosan. In taking it apart I did not see any glitter in the fuel lines. Maybe I need to look farther though. How do I tell if the pump is shredding?

    in reply to: Bobcat T650 Hard Starting #3106892
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I liked those ideas. I’ll have to try them on some engines. So this is what I found today. It has three bad glow plugs. The fuel bleed off on two of the injectors was bad and not real good on one so three bad injectors. Also not sure that the cold weather fuel bypass is working right. I used an electric fuel pump between the primer bulb and the filter to make sure that it was getting good fuel flow. I could not get it to prime up until I clamped off the line from the bypass.

    in reply to: Bobcat T870 Dies Under Load #3106883
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I think that is what I am going to try to do with it today. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

    in reply to: How to move a 30 burnt out excavator #3106968
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Yes, on the outside of the track drive motors.

    in reply to: How to move a 30 burnt out excavator #3106961
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    You can take the covers off of the planetary drives and remove the sun shaft or the planetary gear assembly and that would free up the tracks to roll. The boom is a different story.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 415 total)