Mr. Wrench

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093830
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I was at the auction yard working today and guess what was there…. A Galion road grader and it has a Detroit Fuel Pincher in it. I have heard about those but never seen one yet! They where the worst engine ever? Let’s hear what you guys have to say.

    in reply to: Groining Bobcat 863 #3100592
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    That is pretty normal with the parking brake. If it has any pressure on it, it won’t release until that is relieved. Only thing you could do is make sure the drive levers are adjusted to neutral so that it is not creeping with the parking brake off. That way when the brake is on it is not always putting pressure against it. In many ways that is just the nature of how it is designed.

    in reply to: Genie 45/25 problem #3082430
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I think this is the right manual on Genie’s web site. I not sure how to post a link here for it, I have never down that. Look through the Z-45/25 options until you find part number 52709.

    in reply to: Clutch petal stuck down #3098364
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    If it has a PTO that would be what they are for. If your throwout yoke is not touching the throwout bearing and yet the clutch pedal is stuck down, I wonder if the linkage is messed up.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093678
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    What about the hydraulic starters. I havn’t heard much talk about them.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3094084
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I hadn’t really thought about that. Starter technology was not what it is now. Back when Detroits came out, some companies where even using pony start on their big engines, like CAT.

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093941
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    Besides being used in flammable environments what was the advantage of the air starters? More powerful, less batteries?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093912
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    So the way they become addicted is that the either damages the cylinder bore/rings slowly over time and that lowers compression which means harder starting which means more either…

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093826
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I have heard that an engine can became addicted to either but I have always wondered how that can happen. Can anyone explain the mechanical process that happens in the engine that makes it addicted to either?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093940
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I saw a 8V71 with an IR air starter and it was very loud but it was quick. So the air starters where not so good in the cold how about the hydraulic ones?

    in reply to: Detroit Diesel Dialogue #3093825
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I’ve been reading about hydraulic and air starters on Detroits. What kind of equipment where they put on mostly. Would love to hear any experience with them.

    in reply to: 1985 IH 254 3 point occasionally won’t raise #3098998
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    If you read through the hydraulic part if the shop manual it should tell you where the pick-up screen is. It would also help you be more familiar with how the system works. I work on alot of tractors but have not worked on this model. By using a gauge to get some data you will be able to see what it is doing. Without being able to assign numbers to it you are just guessing, unless you have alot of experience with working in that particular machine.

    in reply to: 1985 IH 254 3 point occasionally won’t raise #3098996
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I would try to pressure test the pump. A pressure gauge and hose would not be real expensive. The repair manual should tell you how and where to do that. I’m not real familiar with those tractors. You may have to leave the gauge on until it is acting up so you can just watch it. It could be the pump but it also could be a plugging pickup screen, or bad seal. Sometimes the power steering and brakes can still work well even though the 3-point does not because they usually take less pressure and also have priority.

    in reply to: New Member With an Old Case Loader #3098755
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    What engine? DT466?

    in reply to: CAT 299D2 Fault codes #3096807
    Mr. Wrench
    Participant

    I was talking to a local CAT mechanic and he said that the D2’s seemed to have more trouble with the aftertreatment system and the parts for them are more expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 415 total)